Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-11-21

A Guide with a Funny Bone

I have been told about my guide by several sources, and I have often tried to picture him.

Does he wear a white dress? No. My spirit guide has at least some sense of fashion. Togas have been out for centuries. I picture him more rugged, manly, yet sensitive. Yes. My Spirit Guide wears black. No color stereotypes for him! He has tribal tattoos and long hair. Maybe some piercings. My guide is hip.

My spirit guide must know death-defying acts, even though technically, he has defied death. He is able to travel quickly and with balance in tact. Over fire, air, water, earths. My guide is a fearless warrior, training me to be the same.

That is why I chose to make The Chariot for today's card. My guide.

There have been times I thought he was sleeping on the job. Could he not have warned me ahead of time? Hi. Watch your step. Dude, stay away from that!

Guides are not meant to stop us from making mistakes, otherwise what would we learn? How would we evolve? They are painful, but necessary.

At other times, I was convinced that he has a great sense of humour. Really? Did I need that haircut? Couldn't he have nudged me before I bought that jacket? Another blind date? No. My spirit guide is smart. He taught me not to take myself too seriously. Irony is a good teacher.

My guide is at least partly responsible for who I am and where I am today. And I am thankful. I didn't turn out too badly. If I say so myself. :)

Today, we are asked to spread our wings and spread the love. That's easy for me. I have been in the process of doing that all along.

I haven't always been this way. I have known cynicism. I used it well as a buffer from experiencing anything real. Then one day, I asked myself, "Do you really want to go through life under a dark cloud? Does it matter if there is higher purpose in life? If life reaches beyond the border of death? Doesn't it matter how you live life? Wouldn't it be better to live life to the fullest, and to your best capacity rather than sitting back and dissecting it?"

When faced with those questions, the answer was simple.

Having worked in a profession saturated with negativity and intellectual cynicism, and coated in ignorance, while surrounded by adolescent angst and enthusiasm, I learned a thing or two. I learned that you get more with praise than criticism. I learned the difference between critiquing and squashing the joy out of everything. I learned that creativity produces more results than staid traditionalism. I learned that being open brings more in, while being closed and unapproachable keeps possibilities away. I learned that there is a huge difference between political correctness and informed tolerance. I learned that if I operate with the premise that most people's intentions are good if sometimes misguided, (not everyone's Guide rocks it, like mine!) then I can approach them with equally good intentions, and affect change. I learned to love unconditionally, not only those who show me love, but everyone.

Am I perfect? Have I perfected all of this? Oh. hell no. I stumble. A lot still. But I am aware, and I correct myself. I will get it right. My guide will help me. :)

I wouldn't have learned this if he was not willing to let me get egg on my face, smack my head against the wall repeatedly, experience painful situations. He didn't bubble wrap me, but he didn't let me come to irreversible damage either. And for this I thank him.

You are doing an outstanding job, my black clad, tattooed spirit Guide!

Thank you, for being who you are and helping me become who I am. I give you spiritual high fives!

14 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

He didn't bubble wrap you, that's genius! And can I say your guide sounds ultra coool? Wow. Funny, I have no sense of my guide at all. I think it's because s/he knows that if I knew someone was whispering in my ear about stuff that I would rebel so they're hiding from me which is pretty darn smart.

You are a warrior at the helm of the chariot of your life my friend. Lead on!

Nicole said...

What great learnings and thank you for sharing them. Blessings, Nicole x

Judi said...

I never know quite what to say without sounding like a sycophant. I feel like "yes! Me too." so often when I read your posts. Our guides must be clan brothers.

Blessed Be.

Her Speak said...

How incredible! I've never thought about my guide. I mean, I've heard of people talk about animal and spirit guides before, but I've never heard of a guide like yours! Is this idea a personal invention or is there reading you can recommend to me? I'm really intrigued!

As always, this card is beautiful. I really respond to the sense of movement and the way the dark colors become obscured against one another. It is very heroic and valiant feeling. The silhouette of those big black wings spreading across the background is a particularly powerful image for me.

Blissings!~*

Danette said...

Your guide sounds hot. Is he single?

I love playful banter with the universe and all her many devoted representatives.

My guide looks a lot like Frida Kahlo. She's saucy and intense, playful and powerful.

Kavindra said...

Funny and wise, I love it.

My guide has long black hair, wears all black and plays drums. He doesn't have any tribal tattoos tho - I may take him to the tattoo parlor after reading your post today.

Serena said...

What a COOL post! Your guide does ROCK! If he has a twin brother, send him my way....hehehe

I know I've had various guides over the years but, at this point in time, I don't have a clue who my guide is let a lone what they look like. I think it's time for a 'meet my guide' meditation.

I loved your list of things you have learned and your card for today is powerful!

love, light and peace,
serena

Tori said...

Your guide is doing an outstanding job! He's teaching you valuable lessons.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

All the differences and contrasts in the things you´ve learnt are food for thought.

Tabitha said...

Your guide sounds awesome! Your way of expression is simply divine dear friend. I believe I have a guide as well - My Grandma..One of the sweetest guides to ever live.

With her on my side I can not fail.

Blessings.

Genie Sea said...

Much love and health and happiness to all of you. Your comments are amazing acts of kindness and I cherish all of them as I cherish each one of you!

Thank you! ♥

Jamie Ridler said...

Your guide sounds like a wise and powerful sensei - qualities reflected in you.

Caroline said...

That's awesome...he does sound hot!

Genie Sea said...

LOL! Yes, he is most definitely smokin' hot. Maybe he has some brothers on the earthly plane that he can send our way. *wink*