Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-12-22

Riding High

Last night, I watched an amazing movie called The Women.

It was one of the six movies I have rented to watch over these snowy days. I started my moviethon Saturday with Wall-E and The X-Files.

Wall-E
is one of the most endearing and funny animated movies I have seen in a while. I don't know how much of it kids would get, but it certainly is a "must-see". These little robots immediately capture the heart and imagination with their gestures and eye expressions. The movie even manages to make a cockroach lovable. Yeah, I know. But it's true! Set in the dystopian future, it has a powerful message indeed. One for all of us to heed.

X-Files is more of a blast from the past for me, having been an avid fan of the television show. It was great to follow Mulder and Skully on a new adventure. The movie does not disappoint. It contains all the intriguing elements of the show, but it also infuses the protagonists with some added dimension. It is dark and disturbing, but extremely enjoyable none-the-less.

Having watched two science fiction movies the night before, I decided it was time to change things up, so I popped The Women into the player. I rented it thinking it would be some enjoyable fluff that I would sort of inertly move through without being disturbed or challenged. Boy, was I wrong. I was definitely not inert watching this movie. The characters captured my attention right from the start. Ensemble movies often fail because it is difficult to make each character resonate with the audience. Not the case here. Each and every actress does an outstanding job in engaging the viewer's emotions and interest.

This is the ultimate chick flick. Literally. There is not a single male character on the screen throughout the movie. Not even as an extra in the distance. Men make an appearance through hearsay and gossip, through one-sided telephone conversations and written messages. I didn't even notice their absence until the middle of the movie.

If you want to feel connected to the sisterhood that is women. To feel empowered in your own life and choices. Whether you are 12 or 112, this movie will speak to you as a woman. In fact, I am going to watch it again tonight. I am sure, there is a performance or two I did not fully pay attention to. There are so many to notice! Ladies. This is a definite must-see. Gentlemen,( if any read my blog lol) if you want to know the inner workings of women, and are not afraid, this movie is a must-see for you too. :)

Today, I unveil the Queen of Balloons. As she sits perched on a hot air balloon that is her throne, she emanates confidence and humour. She is mistress of the air, unafraid to take risks, secure in her place in the world. A breath of fresh air, a new perspective, a creative impulse, the power of momentum are all encapsulated in this card.

May this card inspire you to find the power that is within you, to ride it confidently and with humour throughout life and its adventures.

Blessed be :)

19 comments:

Kris said...

Hi Genie :)

Thank you for this card today, for it reminds me of the magic of the Fire Fairy ... and for some reason, That is exactly what my morning needs to start with :)

I send you continued relaxation and joy, wonder and creativity. . . .
Kristen

Beverly said...

I'm definitely going to have to check out "The Women." I usually don't like ensemble movies either for the same reasons, but this sounds good.

Love the new card! A Queen on a throne of balloons, that is just too cool. Today I will be her, sailing above the tribulations of the world and secure in my personal power to rise above it all.

gemma said...

Queen of balloons!
How fun!!!
Big Smile!

Eileen W. said...

I loved "The Women" and went to see it in the theater a couple of months back as a girls' night out with friends. It has so many messages and I am eager to see it again.

The light fresh breath of air and that "ooh, aah" feeling you get when you see a balloon floating in the sky are perfectly reflected in your gorgeous card! "ooh, ahhh..." :D

Tabitha said...

The card is absolutely magical Genie! Thanks for the review on The Women. I've been wanting to see it and now I will...Tonight!


Warm Hugs 2 You!

Kara aka Mother Henna said...

Will definitely have to see that -- it's the new "The Women" right? I think there was an old film, directed by George Cukor who did all Katherine Hepburn's great films -- he did a "The Women" which was also a great eye candy fascinating piece!

I loooooooooove your Queen of Balloons... Maybe the Devas be with us -- with each and every Queen of Everything -- dancing to Madonna :) hee hee...

Miracles to you!!
k-

Tori said...

"The Women" sounds like a good movie. I may have t rent it. =)

The Muse said...

I feel like aspiring to new heights, those not yet reached.......
Thank you!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

~waving hello~
Loved Wall e too. Eva is so ultra modern, super stylish and sweet Wall e is lovable. :)

Judi said...

Wall-e was such a neat movie - I also wondered if kids would understand the message.

The Queen of Balloons is beautiful.

jennlui said...

oh wow, thanks for the movie recommendation genie!!! i'll have to gather some women together and go rent it!!! yay yay yay!!!

few, i'm catching up to all of your posts now... where have i been??? in my little lala land in my studio... shesh!!! ha ha ha!!! i can get so very absorbed into what i'm doing, days are going by!!! yipes!!!

beautiful card genie!!! i love love love how you renamed this suit balloons. so very magical and fitting for our times. thank you for this and your fabulous words!!!

peace and love

oh and merry yule and holiday week!!!

Caroline said...

Great reviews! I was a bit weary of Wall-E, but I think I'll give it a try. I just love the Queen of Balloons...how fun and whimsical!

linda said...

good morning the next morning, dear genie, thank you for the movie reviews...the women sounds like my kind of movie so thank you for the review! I love your card as well , with balloons on my mind lately - sigh, that painting goes on and on...

the tree of happiness award has not escaped me and I have posted my happinesses and the few I have posted it onto...wanting to let you know that I finally got to it...hoping that did not bother you too much...I am a bit of a ditz when it comes to those things and still have a few tags and things I have put away for another day and now forgotten...awards I usually do remember, it just sometimes takes awhile....have a wonderful holiday, enjoy your vacation..you deserve it so much!

many blessings to you...I am so happy we met and I look forward to being with you for the book blog upcoming ;)

Kavindra said...

You have to see the old one too - the women I mean. Oh my god it's funny, and so charming - to see them all doing their old fashioned exercises is worth the price of rental alone.

Genie Sea said...

Do you all even know how much sweetness and light you bring into my life? How lucky are the people in your lives to have you in them?

I will be checking out the original movie, thank you for pointing it out! I adore Audrey Hepburn. I can't recall seeing it, which is strange. I have seen most of her movies. (I thought all)

Hugs to each and every one of you! :)

Ancestral Celt said...

Um, George Cukor directed Katherine Hepburn, not Audrey.

The Women (1939) featured Norma Sheerer, Rosalind Russell, Paulette Goddard and Joan Crawford and is fabulous.

I've not seen the updated version, though.

Genie Sea said...

Well duh. I read that wrong. No matter. I don't think I have seen it, and I am a fan of Katherine's too :)

Serena said...

YAY for the Queen of Balloons!

I haven't seen 'The Women' but I've now noted it down as a must see. Thanks for the info, Genie ~ :)

Dia said...

Oh, she's GREAT! Love her sense of mystery & self assurance - riding high, & not afraid of falling!

The movie sounds great - & need to look up the older version!!
Went with a group of gal friends to see Secret Life of Bees in Nov - & that was SOO good!