Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-12-23

Cocoon and Release

As we march bravely toward the light, many things are percolating in my head. Ideas, plans, images.

I have been cocooning, regaining much needed energy, while the weather conspired to allow me to do so. My car is resting in drifts of snow, and thankfully I don't have any pressing errands to run. Well, not pressing. I do have a couple of books to pick up for my goddaughter, and the makings for a hostess gift for Emily's mom that I am making, the ingredients for the dish I am going to take. Yes, yes, I need to do all these things, but I don't want to budge from my home.

I have been designing the Tarot deck like a mad woman on a mission. The Balloon suit is almost done and it will have its grand unveiling soon. It's been difficult, I have to admit. I have been trying to clear my head of the preconceived images and meanings of the traditional decks with which I am so familiar.

The Balloon suit has been the most challenging. If you are at all familiar with the Swords suit in the traditional Tarot decks, you will know why. Most of the cards speak of despair, depression, and defeat. These are the emotions I do not wish to encapsulate in mine. It's not that I am in denial (another "de" word), it's that I want this deck to uplift and guide. In my many years reading the Tarot, I have always felt my energy spiral into an abyss any time one of the swords appeared, knowing that the person I am reading for is feeling the same. So how do I touch upon challenges without sending myself and the person I am reading for into the pit of darkness?

To illustrate this, I have included the counterpart from the Ryder-Waite deck.

This card speaks of emotional baggage that is weighing us down and not allowing us to go forward - to reach shore. There is a sense of bleakness and despair in the realization.

Okay. We have all been there. In the tunnel, with no light. Baggage hitting us in the shin.

"Drop the baggage!" Our enlightened soul sings. "Let go!"

So instead of depicting the difficult passage that has the person frozen in a stalemated journey, I depicted the Release.

The release of the baggage, the letting go of all the things, events and people that have stifled our growth, and the sense of freedom it brings.

The red balloons fly away behind us, as we lift our arms and faces to the light, and negotiate our way home.

That is the feeling I want people to have when they see my interpretation of this card. I want them to feel the weight lifted, as the baggage drifts off into space, where it can be absorbed by the cleansing Universe.

If you are feeling like the road is endless and nonnegotiable, if the weight of problems is burying you, my wish is that you find the courage to let go. Let go of those toxic things that stifle you, and be free, be free to sing, and find your way home.

Blessed be :)

18 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Interesting re-interpretation of that card, I think it really works. :)

Eileen W. said...

Be free, be free- ah, yes!! I love this interpretation of the swords- you still recognize the "burdens" but allow a lighter option of letting them go. Spot on!!

Jo said...

I like your version better :-)
Have a wonderful holiday, and a happy new year.

Tabitha said...

I love the card Genie!
My family and I have had great family loss this year, so on New Year's Eve we are going to RELEASE our grief by letting balloons go up into the sky.

Please have a blessed and magical holiday my sweet friend!

creativehealinggoddess said...

I think that this interpretation of the swords is really important.

Because our greatest tests are our greatest lessons. And we need swords sometimes to pierce through illusions.

Balloons is really good but serious like the clown that has them. Such a great deck....and Happy Holidays to you my friend.

Kim Mailhot said...

This is a brilliant way to use the divinatory tools in only a positive way ! Perfect ! You can really feel it the way yu contrasted the feelings of the two cards !

I am praying daily, in each moment really, for the the courage to really let go of my burdens - I can feel myself slowly building substance to do so. I know that my soul longs for its freedom back and will not let me rest until I make it right ! I am still holding the balloon string tight for now but I am watching the balloons of those around me who have found the trust to let go (like you Genie, brave Genie !)fly up in flight... You are inspiring me to open those fingers and let it go...

Thanks as always for the gifts you share !

Her Speak said...

Such a magical card! That indigo sky and ruby balloons! I adore the sparkling star in the distance. A beautiful invention. :)

Cheers to Freedom!
Much Joy, Many Blissings~*
Molly

Miss Robyn said...

you are amazing and for this, I have given an award xoxo

Boho mom said...

I love it, I love it, I love it!!!
Excellent translation!
Letting go of those burdens and breaking free from them. Your heart card is beautiful and I just love the hope it represents.
((hugs)))

jennlui said...

OMG!!! i absolutely love your interpretation of this card and of the swords suit. in my years of reading the tarot, i also was always uncomfortable with the darkness that looms over this suit. i totally love how you've transformed this into a very promising and positive experience!!! oooohhhh wow i can't believe this suit is almost complete!!! genie, you really have a fabulous energy and momentum going!!! you go girl!!!

i am hibernating as well, and plan to not leave my home until the new year!!! ha ha ha!!! goodbye crazy hectic outside world!!! mmmmmmm i'm starting to sound a little nutso... hee hee!!!

have a very beautiful holiday week and enjoy your time!!!

peace and love

linda said...

this is a wonderful card, genie, and thanks for a bit of information on it...I am not a tarot reader although I pull cards from other types of decks, strictly for myself...always interesting...your cards are gorgeous and I did not realize they are supposed to be used as a typical tarot deck...not sure if I am correct so will come back to see if you have had a chance to clarify if I have it wrong...

have a blessed holiday...

Judi said...

Oh YES! The balloon suit is much more inspiring than swords - this works - it's not like you are ignoring the negative - but instead of embracing it; you are letting it go . . . The die hard traditionalist will gripe - but then, they always do. The spirit of light in your tarot is a really good thing.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like the meaning of this card the style you done it in.
We all have baggage and all sort of it. It what we do with it.
Balloons are great symbol of floating but as it goes up there lot of factors to consider.

The other day I put my car in snow bank. We have over 30 inches of snow now.

Coffee is on.

Serena said...

I LOVE your interpretation of the 'sword' suit! Beautiful card, as always, Genie ~ :)

love, light and peace,
serena

Dia said...

This is great!
~ 14 years ago we had a Reiki Circle going & at the end of a session, we'd 'sweep' the person's energy - & one of the gals 'saw' it dropping on the floor like so much doodoo . . . Uuuu Yuck! (I always saw it going down into the ground like compost - but others in the group were 'letting' it pile up :)
So we began 'handing it off' to the angels - the balloons feel similar - great work on making this visual - & I think we'll all enjoy doing this!!

Happy Yule!

Tori said...

That is a good reinterpretation of the card. I like it better than the Ryder-Waite. I tried that deck once, and I just didn't like it that much.

Genie Sea said...

Blessings to each and very one of you! Thank you for your kind words, and for being the amazing people you are :)

Kris said...

Dear Genie,

Your deck of cards will truly inspire people to liberate themselves from their perceived limitations ... and that is what Tarot readings are all about (for me, at least!).

You are a beautiful soul, who has created a beautiful creation that speaks of your heart ... and yes, people will take notice (as you can see even on your blog) and respond in inspiration, hope, and love. That is both a wish I hold for you, and a deep knowing.

With Love,
Kristen