Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-12-10

Pockets of Air

Today, I woke up with this in my head:

"You have to believe in something."
"I believe in myself."

My eyes popped open. I don't know if it was those words, or the fact that Stinky was meowing bloody murder for food, but I woke up.

In more ways than one.

I have carried a balloon of sadness with me for a long time. Longer than I can remember. Over the years, that balloon filled up, and brimmed, emptied, and filled again.

I have walked in the shadow of my failure, head down, eyes brimming. Defeat put her arms around me many times, as I trudged through life, feeling bereaved.

But I have another balloon. In this balloon, there is hope. Many times this balloon has filled up, overflowed, emptied, and refilled with its glow.

I have walked with my Guide, on streets filled with glowing snow, reflecting Christmas lights. We have strolled on warm pavements shimmering under the moon. He has put his arm around my shoulder, or my waist, holding me close, as I walked through life, feeling nurtured.

Today, I wake up knowing that those balloons and those figures are both a part of me. Part of who I am, and I accept them, but I am not them. I wake up to a new balance, I have never had before. I awake with a new assurance I have rarely, if ever experienced.

I am more than the sum of my experiences, more than the residue of my emotions, more than the creation of my thoughts. I am me, and I do believe in myself. This is why I designed the Two Balloons today. It depicts the balancing act we all have to achieve in life. It can get burdensome sometimes. At times, we want to lay down and give up. At others, we run ahead, our hair blowing in the wind, the balloons streaming behind us.

But always we are at the center. Whole, unaffected by the weather, observing, learning, growing.

Yesterday, I experienced a frustration, singular in its intensity and unique in its situation. We had a meeting with all the heads of department and the administration. Person after person, stubbornly refusing to move forward, to affect change, to look beyond the edge of their self-interest. Caged criticism, negative interpretation, self-aggrandizement, the need to control. At one point in the meeting, I actually said I felt like a salmon swimming upstream. Most heads jumped on board any lame proposal without thought, without discussion, nodding heads, lips puckered. I just could not keep silent. I had questions. I had issues. I had alternatives. The principal watched me like a hawk. I saw her. I felt like taking the little tangerines on the table and smacking them off their heads like ping pong balls.

I didn't do that.

When the meeting was over, I started to do that thing I always do. Self-deprecation. Self-defeat. Self-derision.

Then my real voice asked a simple question, "Why do you feel this way? What happened at the meeting that causes you to viciously attack yourself?"

I stopped, in shocked silence. Indeed, "WHY?"

I asked the questions few have the balls (pardon my slang) to ask, made the points few would even consider making, went against the "I am a good soldier, yes Mein Commandant, I will bend over even lower, whip me more" attitude.

These are the questions I asked, "How do you expect the staff to do that? Aren't you in effect asking for six new courses (that will be populated by an average of 4 students) for your department, when I had to sweat to get one.? You are asking us to take ten minutes every class to check agendas, on top of uniform, on top of everything else you want us to do? When are we to teach reading and writing?"

You get the gist of the stupidity I had to endure. The issue is, I did not fail myself, nor the people I was sent there to represent. Did I make myself a target? Most certainly. Did I make myself unpopular amongst most of my peers. Most definitely. Do I give a damn? Well no. Should it affect the way I feel, enough to fill the balloon with the sadness, and allow my shadow self to cackle in glee of my defeat? Hell, no.

Today, I will walk with the two balloons. They are perfectly balanced. I know the sorrow that can bring a tear to my eye. I know the hope that can put a spring in my step. I accept them. They belong to me. But they are not me. I am the one in the center, holding them, with a smile on my face.

I hope that your steps are steady and light, and that the balloons you balance float, buoying you, not burdening you.

Blessed be :)

18 comments:

Jamie said...

It's powerful to hear your spirit talking. Your spirit that is awake and awakened, unwilling to sit down, shut up and numb out. Yay, you, sister! Yay for waking up with inspiration, for creating your visionary cards, for speaking your mind. Yay for Genie!

Judi said...

It's not easy to buck the establishment - bash at the wall of apathy.

Meet the sycophants with a dance in your mind (if you did it for real they would lock you up!) KRUMP! The attitude projected in Krump -

They are not going to put you down. You rock.

Suzie Ridler said...

It took a lot of courage to do what you did and it's hard when you're the one who sees what needs to be done and has to fight to make it happen. That's a big burden, no wonder your shoulders have felt so heavy.

We have both light and dark in us, like two balloons for sure.

And BTW, I love Mary Poppins! I think of that song every time I feel the birds too.

Tabitha said...

Your light is beaming Genie and I'm so very happy for you and your strength. You believe in something strong enough to stand up for what's right. that is considered to be Bravery my friend.

You are indeed a Shero (she+hero) of mine!

Kris said...

Dear Genie,

A stunning, inspiring, and beautiful embracement of Yourself: Congratulations on having the guts and humility *required* to achieve that self-love!!! I applaud you and I admire you :) .

In Joy,
Kristen

creativehealinggoddess said...

It is so good that you are self coaching your self and also loving yourself regardless...carry your balloons to remind us not to take ourselves seriously...

Tori said...

This is a good reminder that we all need balance. I started thinking about that last night a bit.

I'm glad you asked the questions! Sometimes things just need to be said.

Kris said...

Dear Genie,

I thought that I should let you know that I linked back to your blog, in my post today, because your post inspired my thinking and realizing. I hope that you don't mind the shout-out, but it just felt right. . . .

In Joy,
Kristen

Caroline said...

Wow! You have such wonderful and creative insight. I love how you say you are the center and the balloons are balanced. I did laugh when you wanted to bounce tangerines off thier heads!

Kavindra said...

"But they are not me. I am the one in the center, holding them, with a smile on my face."


Very nice my friend, so well said. I can see you there smiling between your balloons.

I love that you don't try to pop or lose your sadness balloon - it is probably part of what makes you so sensitive and empathetic.

I also love the 2 of balloons woman - she reminds me of red riding hood, who I adore.

linda said...

genie, you are wise beyond your years and this post is a shining example of that....thank you for sharing the depth and wisdom gleaned from your experience...yes, it is hard to stand and face the wind but in the end, we come away refreshed and stronger than before.

many blessings to you for being who you know you are....I know it's sometimes very hard to bear it all.

jennlui said...

ooohhh wow wow wow... i really needed to read your wonderfully insightful words today. i really love the imagery you chose for your card today, it's so very true. there is a balance and we are not our experiences...

you go girl, power to you!!! i absolutely love how you speak your mind and live your beliefs. you are strong and totally fabulous!!!

peace and many blessings

Genie Sea said...

You wonderful muses, you glorious goddesses, you endless hearts, you gorgeous souls, you make me blush. Thank you so much from the bottom of my very being :)

Her Speak said...

This really resonates with me--so often it feels like it takes mountains, weeks, months of effort to inflate, to feel confident and content but it only takes the slightest sharp point to pop it all. Why is that? It's like having to eat broccoli for a week to make up for the Big Mac...

This card is arresting--really! Her gaze is so intense, like a tractor beam that sucked me in ZIIIIIIIIP: Look At Me! Spectacular.

You are an apathy Warrioress! Your kids need someone to speak for them, someone to be the voice of Reason. With your bouquet of balloons, there is no way you can fail!

Much Joy, Many Blissings~*
Molly

citiding said...

"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we are not really living"
(Gail Sheehy, American writer)

rebecca said...

"I am more than the sum of my experiences, more than the residue of my emotions, more than the creation of my thoughts-"

I loved that line. Perfect. And good for you that you had the courage to speak up even though you knew it would not win you the popularity vote. A sign of a person that is sure of herself, feels comfortable in her skin, and is not afraid to show she has a voice. This was inspirational and it gave me some very good food for thought. I will be thinking of this post often, most especially the above quote. Blessings-

The Muse said...

You illuminate me !

http://adivashammer.blogspot.com/2008/12/unexpected.html

I am giving your blog an award because it has meant so much to me :)

If you choose not to display your award that is ok, however I did want you to know that reading your blog has given me joy!

June said...

Absolutely agree with all the words spoken here. How couragious !
Thanks also for sharing
June x