Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-12-12

Aerial Acrobatics

Don't you hate it when your mind just says, "Wake up!" and you look at the time and it's 4 am? And you don't need to roll out of bed for another two hours?

Too much on my mind, maybe? Taken on a wee bit too much, perhaps? Allowing little things to take over my mental state, possibly?

I have always had the need to solve problems. Roll up my sleeves and get things done. I'm not one to whine and complain and then go about and finish my sandwich. I need to get things resolved.

Problems arise when I have to count on others to help. That's when it gets sticky. Not everyone is like me.

"That's a great idea they say", while munching on their sandwich, "but I can't do it. You should do it, and I will sit here eating my lunch, pretending I have helped."

"How about... hell no! How about, you're not involved and therefore you have no say in the outcome," I want to say, but grit my teeth instead.

I obviously need to vent. I am a venter. When things, really people, get to me, I allow my feelings to bubble to the surface (in a controlled environment, of course). Once I'm done, I feel better, and no one is hurt. But there are times I so sorely want to put that person in his/her place with my sharp tongue. It's a registered weapon. That's why I keep it under wraps as much as I can.

I know I should be more understanding of people who are not like me. I realize this. I know it can be a form of intolerance. But do we have to tolerate all behaviour, no matter what? Do we? Really? I can't bitch slap anyone with a few choice words? Why must I always be taking the higher ground? Being the better woman? Practicing acceptance, while missing my lunch, when others can sit there placidly and do nothing? Why even ask why?

It's my fault really. It's a form of arrogance to think I can solve all the problems that come my way. I am not that far gone though, not to seek help, but sometimes help is just not there. Sometimes, I cannot rely on people. Actually, it has been my experience that I cannot rely on people most of the time. It took me forever to even start asking for help. I had learned to not even bother. But being in a leadership position, I am inundated with responsibilities and chores and paperwork on top of my teaching duties. My plate is so full it's cracking. I need to ask for help.

Why am I taking so much on? I see a need, I try to fill it. This club needs an advisor. I'll do it. The school needs to build spirit. I'll help. The dance needs chaperons. I'll volunteer.

"Hello? Genie? You're not ubiquitous. You can't do it all!" The voice in my head whispers. Hell, now it's yelling at me. I can't fault it for getting upset. I need to stop.

But I know if I do, there will be no one to step up in my place. People just don't care. Too many teachers think the job is 8:30- 3:30, teach the classes (sometimes horrifically), do some marking and go home. Okay, that is the biggest part of the job, but the school is a community, and communities that are made up of apathetic and self-centered people, collapse. The students, some of which who have also been raised to be apathetic and self-centered, need better role models.

I suppose you are wondering what the hell I am venting about. :)

Well... (insert deep breath)

I am swamped.

  • As you know, some of us have taken on the cause of putting this administration on the right path. Lots of work, stress and effort involved.
  • I have about 20 things to do each day, over and above preparing creative lessons, teaching, leading, inspiring students. Timetables to sort, exams to vet, interviews to conduct, grievances to smooth over, reassurances to give, meetings, meetings, meetings.
  • I have taken on a very important and needed club for our school, one that has never existed - The Black Culture club.
  • I have tried to revive school spirit by spearheading a morning radio show run by students, guided by me.
  • I have rewritten and helped choreograph a remix of a song for our department to perform this Friday at the yule assembly. We have had no rehearsals except with Emily (my goddess-send)
  • I volunteered to be at the charity basketball game.
  • I volunteered to chaperon the semi-formal.
  • I have unmarked papers up the wazoo. They can populate a small forest.
  • I have two classes of students blogs to read.
  • I am slowly going crazy.

(Insert another deep breath here)

Time is running out, and we need to rehearse the song. I asked if we could get together on Sunday to do the major rehearsal for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Some said they could make it, a few others made some excuses as to why they couldn't. What they really meant was they don't want to. I wanted to roar.

I need to be fair to myself.

I have taken on too much. I feel like an acrobat swinging without a net, and I am solely responsible for putting myself in this position. I care too damn much about the students, and their high school experience. I should just go to work, put in my time, and collect my paycheck. Right?

Nope. I'm not like that.

This why I chose to redesign the traditional "hanged man" for today's Tarot. It's called, "Acrobat". A death defying act of fearlessness. See the calm look on his face? It is a card of giving, but also one of personal peril. The secret is in the balance. In the training. In the attitude. I am a novice aerialist, and I have much to learn. But my heart is in the right place, even if my feet are dangling many meters above safe ground. I need to fashion myself a safety net...

May your safety nets be strong. May your support system weather any circumstance. May you perform death-defying acts safely. May you find the balance necessary to navigate through life's challenges.

Blessed be :)

20 comments:

Jo said...

Keep taking deep breaths :-) Your human!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

That used to be my life too, then I had a breakdown in 2004 because I was exhausted (there was a day I couldn´t even talk to my kids, as I was so tired I couldn´t muster the enrgy) and now I´m back on track, having found a balance.

That means I can smile and offer help at 6.45am when a mom phones me to ask if I can take her daughter home after school but also say no to another mom phoning to go out with a bunch of kids this Saturday. Yes, another pair of hands would have been useful but they´ll manage, they´ll find someone else or stay home. And I still have energy for other stuff that I need / want to do.

Good wishes on finding your own balance. :)

Tori said...

You remind me so much of a teacher at my school who does the same. He overloads himself with things to do. He always helps a student when they need it, he always chaperons at dances, goes to all the home games, he's there on the weekends grading papers, he's constantly writing letters of recommendation for seniors, he became the advisor for the yearbook after all the other teachers dropped out, and he does so much more.

I have to say that I love dedicated teachers like you and Mr. Hoel, but you are both going to kill yourselves with all the stress! Most students are ungrateful idiots who don't deserve to have wonderful helpful teachers. I know this because I go to school with a lot of them. They take advantage of that kindheartedness and go on like there's nothing wrong.

It is wrong. You shouldn't be like a lot of the teachers who just put in their time and collect a paycheck. You should care and give, but not more than you can. I'm glad you've found balance right now, please don't slip and fall...

linda said...

darling, take MORE deep breaths, practice acceptance that all will never be perfect no matter what you do(working with human doings it seems not human BEINGS)....do what you can and learn to know the importance of your own personal needs firstly...then you can become stronger and not be drained by this workload that I can barely breathe reading about......please take good care of you...and get that net under you firmly in place, no room for doubt as to where you will fall but a nice soft place, preferably with feathers. :)

Julia said...

Wow! What an intense and heart felt post! I can tell you're an incredible achiever. You're sensitive to the causes that motivate you! You're also really hard on yourself :) Keep taking those deep breaths! And be kind to yourself!

I can also tell you're one hell of a force to be reckoned with and feel envious for any cause with you behind it! Impressive!

:)

indigo goddess said...

Thank you for your kind words yesterday on my blog, and I want you to go back and read what you wrote. I do believe you know the answers. You are so incredibly giving, but also so a very very smart woman who has this BIG toolbox of tools and is working on mastering all the tools in it. I KNOW you are on your way at mastering each and every one. Love to you girl.
Those kids have a great gift- start easing off slowly. You dont have to drop off all the activities all at once, but maybe one less per month til they are more managable. Remember, you do have a whole other career going on outside the school, with the book and cards. This blog alone takes some time. Have a Super Duper Weekend!!!!

Suzie Ridler said...

When so many people are apathetic, it spurs people who can't be into action. The problem is it all falls on our shoulders and can be too much. Be gentle with yourself. Focus on what you absolutely need to do and let go of everything else. Enjoy the hibernation and soft lighting.

Kavindra said...

What a big hearted and generous person you are.

As everyone else says, take care to find your balance. Your situation reminds me of my last work environment. It seemed like no one else cared and I piled more and more on ... until I really lost it. I had to quit (or murder someone and I didn't want that karma). You know what was funny about that? AFTER I quit, people stepped up to the plate. {A woman I hadn't seen move in 12 years began a bookgroup for the teens (it was a library.)} The void was filled!

You are a wise wise woman, and you will figure it out perfectly. I wonder tho, if you backed off and took more time for yourself, if eventually others would step up. It'd take a while (which I am sure would be excruciating to watch and wait through, caring as much as you do!) but it might happen.

Anyways that school, those kids, and the world itself is lucky to have you with your passion and energy.

Her Speak said...

It can be really difficult to remain enthusiastic when you are passionate and involved but are surrounded by people who are either simply floating around like trash in the wind or deliberately standing in your way. But we are Women of Consequence! We get Stuff Done.

I had a teacher like you in high school and she saved me. Really. I was in a low dangerous place in high school and if it wasn't for her helping me along, challenging me and being GENUINELY interested in my well being, I'd probably have seriously harmed myself or ODed on someone's couch. You caring deeply about those jackass teenagers matters. A lot.

Go Genie! You are a Passion-ista!The Universe will give you all the time you need. :)

Much Peace, Many Blissings~*
Molly

jennlui said...

ooohhh genie!!! i just want to run over and stand next to you to give out great big roars!!! oh i mean great big deep breaths... hee hee! i am so much like that as well, wanting to take on everything, help everyone... but then we just burn out. our energy and determination fizzling into little puddles. i have learned the hard way to be more gentle with myself as i have felt the weight of the world (well my world) on my shoulders... but in times of need there always needs to be someone who will step up when others don't. i love that about you genie, so resolved in making a difference. you are fabulous you know!!! that school is so very fortunate to have you there, your warrior energy and spark for the kids. but really though, take care of yourself, be gentle.

your choice for the hanged man is absolutely perfect... acrobatics is definitely a worthy word.

sending you balancing and gentleness vibes... have a relaxing weekend.

peace and love

Genie Sea said...

Hello my soul angels :)

Thank you Night Owl!:) I'm breeeathing! :)

Thank you Paula! :) I know I have two options. Balance or breakdown. I choose the former :) I bowed out of chaperoning the dance. They have enough volunteers. :)

Thank you Tori! :) I can never become what I am not. I care, and I cannot stop caring, and even if I change one kid's life for the better, it is worth it :)

Thank you Linda! :) I will do just that. This weekend, I scheduled a whole bunch of nothing. Other than a rehearsal with three people to record the song for our performance. I will call a general rehearsal on Tuesday, and whoever shows up will be in the performance. Whoever doesn't is S.O.L. :)

Thank you Julia! :) You're very right. I can be very hard on myself. Harder than I am with others. I think it is because I always am conscious that I need to practice what I preach :)

Thank you Sandy! :) LOL! I went back and read my post and posted again. You were right to redirect me there :) I did drop out of the dance, and the morning show. Someone else can do it. :)

Thank you Suzie! :) That is my plan this weekend. Hibernation and soft lighting :)

Thank you Lisa! :) The reason I am stepping in and stepping up so much is because many won't and those who do are as overloaded as I am. But, I will be paring down, and I have already. I can't be anything other than who I am :)

Than you Molly! :) I am so very grateful someone was there for you when you needed it. I am so happy you shared this story with me because it gives me hope, that I am on the right path. Hugs, fellow Passionista :)

Thank yo Jennlui! :) I promise, I will be kinder to myself :)

rebecca said...

Must be a teacher thing- my daughter is a teacher and you remind me much of her. I think that when you care about your students - the very ones you wanted to make a difference in when you chose the profession - it is inevitable that you will at times become overwhelmed. I believe it's hard to draw a line when you've made that emotional connection. Forget the others and what they do not do; focus on the difference that u are making in a life - but do seek some balance. You can't help them if you burn the candle at both ends. I think what you are doing is commendable and rewarding. Keep up the good work. :)

Judi said...

I have to write before I read the other comments or I'll get side tracked. -

Have you ever watched a acrobat - think a minute - there is always, ALWAYS a slight pause before they begin - I don't know what each artist calls it, but they all . . . GROUND AND CENTER! You are forgetting to ground yourself girl!!!

Balance! Grounding! Your heart, spirit have you committing to these projects but doesn't expect you to do it flat out and flat footed!

So take that breath, consciously. Become calm. Then you can move that mountain.

Kris said...

Precious Genie,

May Life and You become acrobat partners, in this delicate dance of mental health in fearless living. . . . Your very breath can be your net ... and so much more will also support you because you fight a fight that is true to yourself ... and I have found that even *if* part of our "fight" is falling, there will always be an unexpected net and an unexpected grace. You are full of grace, Genie, and grace will dance with you ... even if only in breaths. You will learn your own balance, step by fierce step :)

Have faith in you!

In Joy,
Kristen

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm so glad not every one is like me.
I then know I can learn and go.
It such a blessing and at one time I real didn't want to embrace the difference.

Coffee is on.

Serena said...

Genie, I will be back later today to read this post and give it my full attention.....I have to dash for now.

love, light and peace,
serena

Tabitha said...

Hi Genie ~ I have something for you over at my blog! Happy Sunday!

Tabitha said...

I just saw that you had already been awarded, but I won't take it back, because you rock! So you're twice as blessed!

Hugs

Genie Sea said...

Thank you oh sweet angels of light. May you wake up every morning under the Tree of Happiness, and go to bed at night under the Covers of Possibility. :)

The Muse said...

I love that you care!
I love that you lunge forward, instinctively...ever upward and onward!