Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-12-24

Happy Holidays and Balloons

It is done! The Balloons suit of my original Tarot deck is complete!

It has been a challenge to transform the swords and their meanings into the balloons. I mean, talk about polar opposites. :) For each card, I have slanted the light in such a way as it reflects the positive outcome of the meaning rather than the traumatic event that inspired it. We prefer to see a picture of the new born baby so full of promise, than the crowning moment of labour. Ya know? :)

Here are the cards I have not posted in brief:
  • 3 balloons went from the traditional heart being stabbed by three swords (ugh!) to a woman on a beach going from a crouched position of sadness, to a leap of rejoicing.
  • 4 balloons went from a knight (seemingly dead) in a church to a woman sleeping on a bed of white, carried into the clouds by a huge white balloon.
  • 5 balloons went from the battleground of defeat , to a woman standing in the wind, holding on to some balloons while one is carried away by the elements.
  • 7 balloons went from a soldier carrying weapons, seemingly stealing them from the enemy, to a woman gazing up at balloons that carry the imprints of Hindu deities.
  • 8 balloons went from a woman bound and blindfolded in a cage of swords, to a woman gently bound by balloons that are about to carry her away.
  • 9 balloons went from a woman in deep despair surrounded by swords, to a woman surrounded by some balloons being nudged to an open window.
  • 10 balloons went from a man face down stabbed in the back with ten swords (the most disturbingly violent card in my opinion) to a man scaling a glass building while 5 balloons and 5 balloon reflections accompany him.
  • I have decided to omit the Page card from all my suits for two reasons: I have always been at a loss in my interpretation of that card (it seemed redundant) and numerologically it throws the individual suits as well as the whole deck out of whack for me.
  • Finally, I present you with the culmination, Mr. King of Balloons. He is composed and slightly mysterious. A ladies man, one who knows exactly what to say and do to make a person smile. He embodies the spirit of adventure, tinged with a little bit of danger. A twinkle in his eye, he confidently strides through life whether he feels that confidence or not. :)
So now that the most difficult (for me) part of the deck is over, I will steadily work to complete the whole deck before the New Year.

Thank you all so much for your wonderful words of encouragement, praise and support. You are all precious to me. I am truly blessed that our paths have crossed, even if it is on the net superhighway!

Wishing you and yours the happiest of holidays! :) Much love :)

16 comments:

Judi said...

Excellent! Your deck is going to be super popular. It may take off slow because people resist change - but I'm betting that you start a tarot revolution ;)

Happy Holidays.

Kavindra said...

Well, this is the first card I don't like - Mr King of Balloons looks just like my graduate advisor! All I can think of looking at this card is super stress and "sin and redemption in Daniel Defoe"! I'm sure people who were not deeply scarred like me are loving this card tho (big smile)

Have a very wonderful holiday full of the same love and light you yourself put into the world.

xo

Tori said...

All the cards looks awesome! Congrats on finishing this difficult part.

Happy Holidays!

Tammie Lee said...

Oh my goodness, congratulations on your balloons! I still find myself thinking you are involved with an amazing project. I send you warm smiles as you continue on!

Genie Sea said...

AWww Judi! Thank you honey :)Hugs!

Lisa! You and me outside! Snow fight! hehe If MY grad advisor looked like the king of balloons, well umm... I wouldn't be writing no thesis :)Hugs!

Thank you Tori and Tammie Lee! Hugs! :)

Beverly said...

I am absolutely in love with the balloons suit of your deck. I love the symbolism of freedom and peace!

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and that all your dreams come true in the New Year!

Genie Sea said...

Hugs Beverly! Thank you :)

danette said...

I especially love the Four of Balloons. I think that is so powerful to transform the tarot so that it resonates with fullness and meaning for you.

Have a wonderful Christmas Genie!

Sending you the warmest wishes!

Dia said...

Oh, these are great!! Like Lisa, I have a bit of trouble with the 'ladies man' king - my LIPID (last inappropriate Person I Dated) was one of those :) . . . hence my 'good guys' card . . .

& about excluding the page - I've struggled with that one, too :)

A favorite deck (i could quickly tie the one scentence 'blurbs' about each card to the image!) is the Medicine Woman Tarot, which 'honors Mother Earth & respects all beings. She's also worked with finding the heart of the card meanings.
She uses 'Arrows' for swords - & plains indian images ('bowls' are tropical islanders, etc) . . . Her big four are: Apprentice, Totem, Lodge & Exemplar - For 'arrows the apprentice blurb is 'Stand by your Words,' Totem (coyote image) 'see through the Cultural illusion, Lodge: 'Liberate by Revisioning the World,' & Exmp. "Your stories transform the world"

Do love yours - & that you used baloons!!

Caroline said...

Love the King... You have such an amazing talent! I hope you have a wonderful holiday...wishing you many miracles!

Pen said...

oh hello, king of balloons is rather handsome! :)

genie, i LOVE your deck of cards so far, and this suit in particular. as a tarot reader i used to always struggle with the sword cards (and still as a recipient, they make me feel uncomfortable) i think how you've transformed the imagery whilst retaining the essence of what the cards represent... well, it's just awesome. i can't wait to see the remainder of the deck unfold in the new year...

in the meantime may i also use this opportunity to thank you for being such a stalwart of strength and inspiration. your comments, your always genuine postings, your art: it is all a wonderful gift. may you have a magical holiday and i hope you continue to shine bright in 2009.

xo

June said...

Hi my friend , Happy Christmas !!!
Something for you here http://junesartyretreat.blogspot.com/

Hugs June xxx

peppylady (Dora) said...

You have inspired me to make my own card which I have even came close of what I'll be calling them.
I hope every so often you take time to share your feeling and thoughts of each card...as we all grow and change though out our lives in so many ways.

Merry Christmas and bright cheerful New Year,

Coffee is on.

peppylady (Dora) said...

opps bad grammar I mean haven't instead of have.

Nicole said...

So beautiful... congrats in completing the Major Arcana. Blessings for the holidays. x

Serena said...

BRAVO! They look fantastic, Genie!