Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-12-11

Good Karma

Yesterday, one of my colleagues told me that I was bringing the department good karma. I really don't know if there could ever be a nicer thing anyone could say to me.

This came on the heels of all-day interviews to fill one of the five positions that will be opening up in our department. Four are maternity leaves and this one was a medical (stress) leave. We had four outstanding candidates and one mediocre one.

As this was my first time in the interviewer's role, I let myself listen with my ears, process with my mind, and decide with my instinct. I used the tool we learned at Soul Coaching. Sorting the candidates into zappers (of energy) and juicers. Strangely enough, both the principal and the vice principal who were also in the meeting, agreed with my choices. We selected the candidate who not only knew his stuff, gave the best answers but had positive energy flowing out of him like a mighty waterfall.

The process exhausted me though. Who would have thought that sitting around all day, asking questions, listening to answers, and writing notes would drain me?

At the end of it all, I realized that this was the most significant decision I have made as head of the department. I was responsible for giving someone a job and for bringing him into our environment. The very molecules will change in the atmosphere with this new person. He is like a high powered blender of enthusiasm and dedication, and might help invigorate those who are wilting in the vegetable drawer. I know the students will love him like a saviour as they have been suffering these past few months with acute incompetence running their classes.

At the end of the day, Emily and I came here, had dinner and practiced our remix of the song "Dangerous" which we will be performing with six other teachers at the Holiday assembly next week. The song is stuck in my head! :)

No wonder I was pooped by the end of the day and went to bed as soon as the "adult" in my head said it was a decent time to. :)

To top off all this amazingness, I was tagged by two awesome bloggers: Tori , and Muse ! I am so honored! :) Thank you so much ladies. :)

Tori passed along the five-a-day meme that Jamie gave to her :) Tori is an amazing young goddess. I wish I had her insight when I was her age. :)

Here are the 5 things I do everyday to keep mentally whole.

1- Blog/journal: I used to use a journal exclusively, but my blog suited me better. It has become my daily reflection in the morning which focuses my thoughts and creativity. It is interactive, as the many wonderful commentators give generously of their support, inspiration, and humanity.

2- Coffee: My morning coffee is essential to me. It fuels me, and in an odd way centers me. You could call it an addiction, but I call it a simple pleasure, that I very much enjoy. Thank the Universe for the coffee and the cocoa beans. :)

3- Gym: I do not go to the gym every day, but I honor this practice as a lifetime commitment, and if I miss a day or two, or even a week, I do not beat myself up over it. (This is a HUGE accomplishment!) When I go to the gym, I feel energized and armed. I am starting to feel my body changing, albeit slowly. :)

4-Creativity: Whether it is writing, or creating graphics, or doodling in the margins during meetings, allowing my creativity daily expression, feeds my soul and imagination.

5-Kids: I am blessed to have daily contact with either my students, or my friends children, or my lovely goddaughter. They are my fountain of youth, my reality check, my constant source of inspiration and joy.

* I will be tagging meme recipients later :)

Muse has given me The Butterfly Award (see left sidebar). Her blog is outstanding and provides with me with so much glee and inspiration. She is a muse afterall :)

Here are the rules:
  • Put the logo on my blog.(left sidebar)
  • Add a link to the person who awarded me. (see above)
  • Nominate outstanding blogs that I follow. (To spare you from 40 links, I will have to pare it down... Oy.)
  • Add links to those blogs. (See below.)
  • Leave a message to those nominees on their blog.
These are my choices:
1- Judi : If you want a whole new perspective on life. If you want to see a superhero in the making. If you need to belly laugh, visit her blog. In fact, just visit her blog :)

2- Mother Henna : If it's a step-by-step art project, or an enlightening perspective into the world, or a project that will make your heART sing, visit her blog, and be enchanted!

3- Her Speak : This blog is the very treasure of soulful art, of enchanting poetry, of ageless life. It has become my fountain of inspiration!

4- Kate I : Her photography speaks to the soul, makes your fingers tingle and your soul say AH!

5- Kristen : Her tender journey of self-discovery and bravery will touch your soul and make your heart sing. Her blog blooms with inspiration.

6- See all the wonderful blogs in the left sidebar. Each and every one of them deserve an award, as they are the Fountain of Life. Inspirational in every way. I heart them all :)

Phew! Wasn't this an epic post? I don't have time to even do my morning round of blog reading! I will have to save this delicious practice for tonight!

In closing, today, I made Reincarnation. This is the Tarot card traditionally known as "death". That simply won't do. It is a medieval mode of oppression used to torture souls into submission. There is no death, just a portal to a new being. Whether you believe in reincarnation or not, it matters not. It's not the philosophy this card embodies but the faith that we are everchanging, evergrowing, everperfecting beings whose souls are indestructible :)

Blessed be :)

21 comments:

Breedale said...

I am glad to hear you had such a great day! However, you need to make that three blog awards. Check my alternate blog, Perpetually Creating and you will see that I selected you yesterday as well. The planets much have really been aligned right for you. I am so happy for you! You deserve it!

Suzie Ridler said...

Even good energy can be powerfully draining. Like you have been in battle so long and the cavalry finally comes in to help and now you can collapse because it's not all up to you anymore.

Reincarnation, what healing and beautiful way to think of the Death card. That is a big gift for me, thank you!

Rowena said...

I totally believe in your reincarnation card. I always have to explain the "true" meaning of death whenever it comes up in a reading.

And I remember being on a hiring committee when I taught HS. There were such outstanding candidates, passionate, dedicated, published, advocates for the students... and again and again, my committee (including Principal and Vice Principal) chose the bureaucrat who wouldn't rock the boat.

I believe that was my last year teaching.

Jamie Ridler said...

I'm wondering what it would be like if workplaces everywhere hired people who brought great energy with them! Talk about a new way of taking care of the environment :)

I'm with you on the coffee. And looking forward to sharing one together :)

linda said...

congratulations on all your awards, genie, you so very much deserve them....and another amazing card too! I don't know how you do it but you do....also I was thrilled to hear about your day....very gratifying..

many blessings on this one too...

Tori said...

It is perfect to replace death with reincarnation. What a beautiful card.

Your decision to hire a person who brought positive energy into the workplace was a good one. I'm glad you thought of everyone who would be affected by this new person. I know what it's like to have incompetent teachers. I wasted my time in certain classes that could have been spent actually learning the subject I was supposed to be learning.

Her Speak said...

You truly are the Queen of Peaches! Thank you so much for the tag! I'm honored. :)

This card is so full of light! So gentle and illuminated. What a beautiful perspective. I never liked the death card--I know it doesn't mean physical death, but the imagery never jived well with me.

Absolutely Exquisite!

Much Joy, Many Blissings!~*
Molly

www.JusticeJonesie.com said...

You are right, that was such a nice thing to say. It sounds like you really did a great job in exercising your role! Good luck with the new employee.

creativehealinggoddess said...

How productive for you ...this is a new way of interviewing...and the reincarnation cared that is really clever because death is not the end.

Keep on Keeping on...

todayandeveryday said...

It is my humble opinion that you do spread good karma! Reincarnation card vs. death card, hm? yeah, I'll take cake, I mean Reincarnation;)
Peace~
Dawn

Judi said...

WOW - lots of comments tonight. I feel like a caboose.

Deciding who gets a job sounds very stressful to me. No wonder you were pooped - never mind that adult brain - being a grown up means doing what you think is right for you. It's like having cake for breakfast instead of donuts.

A new card for my collection! Reincarnation - a much better symbol for a new beginning.

Thank you for the award ;)

Kris said...

HI Genie :)

I want to thank you for appreciating, with me, my blog ... you have added a sweetness to the whole experience :)

Also, your card today is stunning! You really have a divine talent with those cards, Genie!

In Joy,
Kristen

jennlui said...

yipppeeee!!! i'm so happy for you that you have been recognized at your work... you soooooo deserve it!!!

oooohhh i love reincarnation!!! so much better then death. i totally see what the card represents but when i used to do readings i would always get a certain reaction to the death card... not a very positive thing for a card with so much potential. i love your interpretation as usual. beautiful!!!

YAY!!! congratulations to you, you totally deserve every and all awards that come your way. your insight is spectacular and images breathtaking!!!

have a beautiful end of week
oh and love your 5 a day list!!!

peace out

Genie Sea said...

I am so very blessed to warp your words and support around me like an impenetrable blanket :)

Leah said...

i love your list!! kids are such a great source of energy.

citiding said...

You are really living your life to the fullest. Let it be an example to all!

Kavindra said...

I really like the way you are reimagining the cards. It's interesting to see your take on the deck. Remember how everyone went wild for MotherPeace deck? It was the fresh perspective. You're doing it again - you might be famous for this one day soon.

Very lovely way to do some hiring too.

And way to kick it with the blog too! Awards out the wazoo, all well deserved.

peppylady (Dora) said...

yes hearing is important or maybe listening is a better way of putting it.
But making sure a little light is lite.

Coffee is on.

Miss Robyn said...

just a thought with the draining: did you do a protection around yourself before you went out? it is so important to do, especially if you are sensitive to other peoples energies - love the reincarnation card! love it!!
oh & so glad you are enjoying the land of magick x0

June said...

Wow it sounds like you got the right new member of staff and that he will be a real asset . I agree those kinds of things can be energy draining but in a good way too.
Thanks for commenting on my blog :) Its nice to get to know you
Hugs June x

The Muse said...

I dare say that your workplace is a better place since you are there!

Congrats on the comment (and the award)... I am pleased that it has added the bountiful goodness of your life! :)

Looking forward to seeing more cards!