Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-01-31

Bi-polar Vision of an "Artist"

(click on image to enlarge)

The subject of what makes an artist has been coming up more and more of late. There is no profile of an artist. There are archetypes out there, ones that some of us feel the need to emulate. But, really? They are just one manifestation of an artist.

Being creative is a need. It's like breathing, as essential. It isn't a life style. People often shy away from calling themselves artists, because they feel they haven't earned their stripes. Well, bullshit.

You don't have to be written up in the New Yorker to be an artist. You don't have to have your art framed in a museum to be an artist. You don't have to be a tortured soul living on bread, painting in some attic to be an artist. You are an artist because your soul has the need to create. An apron, a thank you letter, a mouth-watering cookie, a mixed media piece, a happy environment for your kids. Those are creations that bring joy.

This subject has come up so many times in my life. I never thought I was "good" enough to be an artist. My art is nowhere near the caliber of truly accomplished artists. My figures are almost rudimentary and I am still learning. I have a lot to learn. But I have this yearning to create. To create images. To splatter my feelings all over whatever medium I am working with.

Will my artwork sell at ridiculous prices? Will I be the talk to the town? Do I want those things? I would be dishonest not to say, "Yes!" Who wouldn't?

Does it fuel my art? Hell, no. Life fuels my art. And life can be glorious but it can also be painful. Very, very painful.

I am a writer. I wrote before I could talk. This is who I am. I struggled with this all my life. Why? Because being a writer, I felt compelled to write a novel. That's what writers do, right? Wrong. It took me a long time to realize I am not a novelist. I wrote two novels to completion. A harlequin and a "literary" novel. They both stink to high heaven. They are written well; I am a writer after all; but they have the emotional maturity of an embryo. I tossed them aside, feeling like I was a failure as a writer. But that's not true. That is far from the truth. Poetry and non-fiction musings are my mediums of expression. They have always been.

Ideas for novels creep up on me when I am waiting at the check-out, when I am grading a paper, when I am cleaning out my toilet. When I sleep. What the hell? Make up your damn mind woman! Are you or are you not going to write a novel?

The belief that in order to be a successful writer or artist (same thing) you must get paid for it. And certainly, that would be heavenly. To make a living and a good one, writing or painting or both. Or making crafts, or creating sculptures, or mouth-watering recipes, or whatever. Who doesn't want that?

But what of reality? The reality is that for every 500 artists and writers, one makes it to the light of fame. I just pulled that figure out of thin air. I have no bloody clue what the stats are and if there can be reliable stats anyway. I have a problem with stats, but I digress. The point is obvious. Not everyone "makes" it.

What about the rest of us?

The essence is that though we might not make a splash that will be felt around the world, we can make a wave in our part of it. We can express beauty and longing and pathos and victory and worry, and touch others through our creations. Even if it's just one person. Us.

Which leads me to my other concern, so to speak.

Yes, I try to be a positive person. I have had to be. I learned very early in life that if I don't take care of myself, no one else will. That if I do not pick myself up from whatever mire I find myself in, no one will. That the only person I can truly count on is myself. That degree of isolation can be crippling. Can be deadly. There have been times I wished death to come and release me from the constant angst I feel myself drowning in.

Talk about a tortured soul...

But I make myself open the windows of my soul, and let it stream out. In light. In prisms of color. In hope. Because, I am here on this planet for a reason. Aren't I? And even though I have no idea why I am here, I am here. And I will create, and write, and struggle to make things better, and voice my opinions no matter how unpopular they are, and be who I am.

Because.

I cannot be anyone else.

I am a bipolar artist. Not clinically. But certainly.

Blessed be :)

24 comments:

Tracy said...

A wonderful post, Genie Sea! Thank you for the encouragement. :)

Tori said...

Yes, yes, YES! This is what I've tried to tell people before, but I couldn't put it as clearly as you did. You don't have to be the stereotypical artist to call yourself and artist. There are artists everywhere in the world, and only a few of them live in attics eating only bread.

I'm more into writing short stories. I can understand a lot with few only words, so I that is how I write.

Archie and Melissa said...

Hi Genie!
I love your posts!
They are insightful, beautiful and very articulate.
xoxoxo
melissa

Caroline said...

What if the reason for not wanting call oneself an artist is not wanting any labels?

The Muse said...

I could wax poetic...
Offer some words that bubble forth from that auspicious mental center...

but I am just going to say my GUT reaction....

SHOUT this one from the rooftops!

I totally 100% "get it"...as I believe so many others do (will) as well.

rebecca said...

Genie,

As I was reading this I found myself nodding, "yes, yes, yes!" A resounding yes! You hit the nail on the head.

I've struggled for years to give myself the title of "writer." Why? Because I felt if I were not paid for it or if I were not published, then I had no right to that title. Well, guess what? You just laid it out here in black and white the reasons why I SHOULD! Why, all of us, who wake up each day and find that writing or whatever form of art is the thing that soothes the savage beast so to speak, SHOULD. All of the notable artists, paid artists, started at our level. They just had that extra dose of talent or luck or good fortune to make it. Yet, their art did not become art on the day they made their first sale. Their art was art way long before that. So you articulated this so well. And brought it home for us who struggle with giving ourselves the rightful title of artist.

You are such a wise woman, Miss G.

((hugs))
Rebecca

P.S. - I, too, have been through many dark tunnels. So I know of the feelings of which you speak. But I know for me these dark times open up my third eye and I can see things more clearly: I appreciate more, I love more, I become more confident in my strengths, I become more patient and kind. It is ironic, yet this is the very thing that these dark times produce. Because after the dark, there is always light, always beauty. And this becomes evident in our art. It is evident in yours, sweet girl. Appreciate all dear heart....even that which hurts, because it is given for a reason: to make you grow and make you see your strengths.

Rowena said...

what is art? It's one of the ways we make meaning of life (you could also be a scientist or a philosopher or whatever else is you medium, I think.)

who is an artist? A person who commits their time and energy to creating art.

Who is a successful artist? That depends upon what purpose their art is serving. Is it to understand the self in miles of journals? Is it to create songs to sing your kids to sleep? Is it to entertain friends? Is it to spread wisdom and understanding to others? Is it to make it rich? Someone who wants to be rich and famous might not consider a person a successful artist who is only trying to understand their own soul through their art... but that doesn't make them less of an artist.

And we each bring our own identity to our art. No one shares that identity. So there can be as many different types of artists as there are people.

and I also fight against the stereotype that artists have to mad and/or egocentric.

Sharon said...

Great post,Genie. Thank you.

marianne said...

hi genie! i think we all touch other people & change lives in ways we will never even know. it's clear from reading the comments on your blog that what you have to say resonates with a lot of people.

i just gave you an award on my blog- please stop by!

Marina said...

We can express beauty and longing and pathos and victory and worry, and touch others through our creations. Even if it's just one person. Us.

I really like this statement, probably because it's basically my philosophy in regard to me making art.
Great post!!

marina@the box of colors

Cynthia said...

My favorite line: We can express beauty and longing and pathos and victory and worry, and touch others through our creations. Even if it's just one person. Us.

yeppers, that was definitely worth reading! Your prisms give you depth.

love-n-light

jennlui said...

oooohhh love your two sided bipolar artist genie... it makes me think so much of our light and shadow selves... how we constantly shift from the one to the other... the light to our shadows... and how both are always present within us...

love your depth genie, your posts are always a feast for the eye balls and leave me with so much to ponder...

i love how you say that you are a bipolar artist, not clinically but certainly... hee hee!!! you're definitly not alone!!!

peace and much love to you genie!!!

Wendy said...

What a well-written post! I can totally relate to this. Julia Cameron(through her books) taught me to write morning pages and be willing to write badly. Yes - write badly. Not perfectly, not for anybody else to see - just for me.
Just to channel the energy, to get moving, to create and NOT be afraid.
It's fear that keeps me from putting myself "out there". That's what I need to work on. And blogging helps.
Thanks for putting feelings into words - the sign of a true artist!
Love & Light

Genie Sea said...

Tracy - Thank you sweetie! I'm glad my post helped :)

Tori - YES! :) It's awesome that you know what you are best at. You are miles ahead of the game. It took me Much longer :)

Melissa (and Emmitt) - Thank you honey! :)

Caroline - By all means, if labels aren't your thing, I'm all for it. I'm more referring to a sense of identity, rather than adopting a title. :)

Queen Musey - Wax poetic by all means! I love poetry! :)

Rebecca - You rock my socks woman! You really do! :) Hugs!

Rowena - Very eloquently and succinctly put! Rock on! :)

Sharon - Thank you sweetie! :)

Marianne - Thank you for the award sweets! :) I will put posting on it soon :) I am very happy it resonates with people. For the first time in a long time, I feel part of a group whose energy is beyond description and nurturing beyond measure. :)

Marina - Welcome to my blog! :) Thank you darlink! :)

CynthiaMarie - Thank you honey :)

Jennlui - Thank you sweetheart! :) You always brighten up my day :)

Wendy - Thank you darlink! :) In many ways, blogging is a very courageous act indeed. It's certainly a great way to overcome fears, and to allow us to see ourselves through other people's eyes. The perspective is refreshing and fascinating. :)

Tammie Lee - Thank you honey! :) Yes, blogging is indeed a blessing, and more so because we have all found each other through our blogging Gurus like Jamie and Leah, The Muse and Jennlui, and countless others who initiate blogging circles. :)

Suzie Ridler said...

Oh I know this struggle with writing. Real writing is only fiction, that's what I was told throughout school too. And it had to be "serious" fiction, no fantasy or horror or magical realism. Who comes up with these ideas? I've actually been more drawn to non-fiction lately too and that's what I am also writing. You're not also Genie Sea. This is a hard struggle and I think being a writer is particularly challenging, we're so isolated most of the time. But we can write, anywhere in any way we want. Fascinating post!

Boho mom said...

Thank you for writing this post Genie!!
I shall from now on say confidently....

"I am a writer"
"I am an artist".

As my daughter would say, You rule...seriously!

Genie Sea said...

Thank you Suzie! :) Since I started this blog, I don't feel alone for the first time in my life. :)

Thank you Boho Mama! :) Shout it from the rooftops sister! :)

Parul Singh said...

I really enjoyed this. :)

megg said...

Giggle - aren't we all?!

I loved this - you really captured the difficulties well - and my dear, this post shows that you are a VERY GOOD writer! With much more emotion than an embryo - giggle! (That made me laugh out loud!!)

xo

Serena said...

I am SOOOOOOOO with you on this, Genie! YES!!!! I AM an artist! Bless you and your amazing blog!

love, light and peace,
serena

Genie Sea said...

Thank you writebrained! :) Welcome to my blog :)

Welcome back Megg! :) Thank you so much :) You should read those novels though... bleh! LOL! :)

Thank you Serena! :) Yes you ARE an artist and an amazing one at that! :)

Miss Robyn said...

fantastic, fantastic post.

I am an artist because I create. I get joy from creating. You made me think about writing too... I am a writer.. I don't write books nor do i write columns or articles. i write about my life.. I love writing about my life :)

lord you are such a great person, you are wise & I love you, I love that you are part of my life. thankyou.

and a big thankyou for your lovely kind words about Ms/Mr Anon Y. Mous.

Melissa said...

I'm feeling very tortured lately...ugh. All I can say from my heart about what you've written is "SPLASH". :)

~magick~
Melissa

Genie Sea said...

I love you too Robyn! And you are a marvelous artist! :)

Hugs Melissa. I totally know what you're going through. :)You will surface. :)