Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-01-12

It Begins...

Yesterday, I think my head exploded.

I got into this state of creativity, and activity like no other! I played around in photoshop all day. Took a long walk to balance things out. Several ideas crystallized in my head and formed decisions. More on the decisions later. :)
But first art...

I am exploring light and shade right now in photoshop and I made another graphic novel scene. For those of you who don't know what a graphic novel is, the best way I can describe it, is it's a comic book for adult audiences. It deals with more serious, darker issues. They use usually mostly black and white stylized art.
Frank Miller is a great and prolific example of a graphic artist.

Here is my scene:

Subway Encounter

(click on image to enlarge)

It's full of mystery and intrigue, and little bit sexy too. My focus was light and shade. Light and shade. S0 I took out all the colors except her lips. It took me a long time to do this because drawing with a mouse is becoming increasingly challenging. I need to stop whining about it, and go buy myself a tablet already. I'm taking the day off Wednesday for my birthday, so that is what I will get myself. :)

The next piece sort of came out by itself. I started freehand drawing without really thinking about it. I was going to draw yet another scene from this graphic novel which seems to be developing on its own, frame by frame. (More things to ponder...)

Cityscape


(click on image to enlarge)

This is all new to me. What I like about this above piece is the free-flowing "nothink" (thank you Kim ) way I made it. I didn't attempt to be realistic in anyway, yet it captured the essence of this city. I am surprising myself! It's really exciting to create. From nothing, comes something. And there it is!

The Decision

I could not ignore the screaming, and from your lovely advice, I didn't. Besides, I couldn't if I tried.

So Ola! Moana is reborn... here! <-Please, click on the link and leave her some ♥ love!@ :) It's a blog-zine (has this be coined yet?) in its infant stages, but I am excited!

I have to say all this surge of creativity is in large part due to you!

Y0ur encouragement, your comments, your own amazing creativity in whatever form it takes, is fueling me. Leah's Creative Every Day, Jamies' Next Chapter series, your sublime art, writing, cooking, decorating, photography, collaging, pottery, videos, child rearing, crafting, jewelry designing, Mantra Mondays, Trash Tuesdays, Project 365, Celebrating the heArt loveliness is infectious and I love it!


THANK Y♥U! and Blessed be :)

31 comments:

Claire HM said...

I am a big fan of graphic novels too ~ and I love the noir feel of your images.

Here's wishing that the money starts rolling in for all of our creative endeavours at the right time :-)

I hope you find what you need over the next 12 weeks of your journey,

Bright Blessings, BB x

jenclair said...

Wow! You really are in the throes of creativity. Love both of your graphic novel pieces!

Kim Mailhot said...

Loving the play of light and dark !!! That's what life is all about, I think !

May the wave of creativity and inspiration continue...

(Thanks for all your support and encouragement as I play in the "dark" side a bit ! It is so appreciated !!!!!)

Tracy said...

I love Subway Encounter...Cityscape is very nice, too! Congratulations on Ola! Moana and all future creative endeavors. :)

Serena said...

I'm LOVIN' your creative surge, Genie....awesome work! I like how you left the colour on her lips for the 'subway encounter' scene...nice composition too. The cityscape turned out great...the background contrasts perfectly with the buildings.

I can't wait to see more......

cherry girl said...

Wow, well if you can manage to produce images like that with a mouse it will be even more amazing when you get a tablet! Great work!

Lay Hoon said...

This is my first time know about graphic novel. Love the sexy & mystery women.

Gayle Dowell said...

Love City Scape! I find it hard to simplify things, I always want to capture all the detail. You've done it very well.

Happy Birthday BTW!

Caroline said...

You are bursting with creativity...I love it! The new year brought that on for me as well (new photo blog). The world is your playground!!! I love Ola! Moana...this is a great alter-ego. You go girl! And it's your b-day!? Happy Happy!!!

Caroline said...

I just realized your b-day is Wed...duh! But you should celebrate for the whole week :).

Judi said...

This old lady thanks you for the info about graphic novels - Now I can understand the style. You do so well with your mouse that once you get your tablet - you'll be smokin'

Regina said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog & for the encouragement. I love this post! You are inspiring me to explore more possibilities with my photo editing.
I am amazed at what you are doing with a mouse & I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when you get a tablet.

Her Speak said...

That subway scene is off the chain, Lady! I love the intense contrast--has a very brooding, cinematic feel about it. I'm excited to see what you stir up when you get yourself a stylus! ROCK!

I'm off to visit your zine now! Can't wait can't wait! :)

Much Joy, Many Blissings, and MERRY MAKING!~*
Molly

Kris said...

Dear Genie,

It really seems like you are taking your already amazing creativity and bursting it open to your next degree of its expression: Stunning to witness!

Your courage to explore your creativity, and how you relate to it so personally is deeply moving and truly inspiring. . . . Keep on!

With Love Your Way,
Kristen

linda said...

this is all glorious, genie....you are keeping yourself one busy woman!

congratulations on your ezine and your continued proficiency in PS! I agree that you must get yourself a tablet, how fun would that be!

happy birthday a couple days early (I am always forgetting things so thought I would say it for the whole week and YES, celebrate for the whole week! there's nothing that says you can't ! :)

Fatma said...

This is getting so good! And now Ola Moana. Love it! There is an erupting of Creativity like fireworks in the wide night sky. I am so enjoying the show!

Kavindra said...

You're on fire! Those creative streaks like you're having are such a high. Congratulations.

Kudos to you and Danette too on Mona. Too charming.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Yay! Cool projects! Have fun!

Allison said...

Happy almost Birthday :] Looking forward to reading Moana! I've decided to not take part in this cycle of The Next Chapter, but I will still be reading - never fear!

Genie Sea said...

Thank you for your awesome wished BB :)

Thank you Jenclair! :)

Thank you Kim! :) Yes, indeed, life is about the play between light and dark. :) You got my support whenever you need it. :)

Thank you so much Tracy! :)

Thank you so much Serena! :) It means a lot to me. :)

Thank you so much cherry! I am itching to get that tablet because it is too painstaking now. That's a good and a bad thing. lol

Thank you LayHoon! :)

Thank you Gayle! :) I get caught up in details too, but details are very difficult right now, and it's good because it's helping me see the bigger picture. :)

Thank you, thank Caroline! Hugs! Here's to our expanded playground! Isn't it marvelous? :)

Thank Judi! :) Stop calling yourself an old lady! Don't make me come over there! :)

Thank you Regina! :) I am looking forward to the tablet as well. :)

Thank you Molly! :) When I grow up, I want to have your talent :)

Thank you Kristen! :) Your support and encouragement mean a lot to me :)

Thank you Linda! :) You are so sweet! :) :)

Thank you Fatma! :) LOL I hope I don't catch on fire! :)

Thank you Lisa! :) I guess I did catch on fire! lol I am bubbling over with it. :)

Thank you Paula! :)

Thank you Allison! :) I am glad you will be reading :)

Steve Emery said...

It's like surfing a big wave - the rush of it, and trying to ride it as long as it lasts... I hope you are up there, hanging ten, for a long time.

Can't wait to see what you create with a tablet...

Going to check out the ezine, now.

loriidae said...

What you are doing with Photoshop is fabulous, I am only dabbling..theses graphics are amazing Janet

peppylady (Dora) said...

Life is busy.
Sound like your blessed and I like to sometime get photoshop it looks so much fun.

Coffee is on.

Ninnie said...

Love the art. Yes you must get a tablet. They are great and so much easier to use than a mouse.

karen gerstenberger said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. Your artwork is fantastic! I'm inspired. It will be fun to be part of Creative Every Day 2009 with people like you! Blessings to you.

Claudia said...

Fabulous! GO GENIE!!!

Genie Sea said...

Thank you Steve! :) This is as close to surfing as I think I will ever get! :)

Thank you loriidae! :) Welcome to my blog. PS takes some getting used to and I have been dabbling with it for some 7 years but never just straight painting til recently.

Thank you for the coffee Peppy! Cheers! You should get photoshop. It is oodles of fun!

Thank you Ninnie! Welcome to my blog! I really do want to get a tablet badly! The mouse is way to restrictive!

Thank you Karen! :) Welcome to my blog! CED is lots of fun though, I don't know how I will keep up with everyone! There are over 100 people participating.

Thank you Claudia! :) Nice to have you back! :)

blendedcolors said...

wow! these are just awsome.... you are good at this! I can't do digital very well at all....

Tabitha said...

I'm SO proud of you!
I love Ola! Moana
its awesome!

Tori said...

Ola! Moana is going to be great! I'm going to check it out ASAP. All of your PS art is so awesome. I can't imagine how much cooler they will look when you get the tablet! =)

Leah said...

yay! I love your amazing creative energy!! it's like fireworks!!