Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-01-09

Dilemmas and Fruit

(click on image to enlarge)

I was feeling kinda fruity last night, after an eventful day at work. So I experimented some more with Photoshop. As I said yesterday, I wanted to combine my digital manipulation skills with painting using this program. So here is my first attempt. The background is peeled clementines in a watercolor effect. The girl, "Clementine", is a manipulated photo of one of her namesakes. I pushed and prodded and painted and highlighted and tweaked a clementine into a face. The hair is a manipulation of the leaves. I added some clementines for her headdress, then played around with light and colors. Le voila!

So, while you ponder Clementine, here is today's installment, of Genie's Dilemma. The three page directive went over quite well with the department. I have heard no grumblings; instead people seemed engrossed in it. I got all the exams revised according to specs. AH!

Of course, since things were going so smoothly, another lovely new challenge fell into my lap, well, actually, into my mailbox. The posting for my position (Curriculum Leader) and for the Assistant CL were placed in my box, as a subtle reminder that I need to reapply for this job if I want it for another year.

Do I want it for another year? Sheesh. Can't I have one day of peace? heh

Renata, who is the ACL right now was supposed to have the job for another year, and was surprised and delighted to find out that it was posted again. She doesn't want to reapply.

Do I? Of course, I have very little time to think about this...

Deep in thought, I made yet another fruity concoction with Photoshop (PS).

(click on image to enlarge)


I used my other favorite fruit, the pomegranate. It inspired a "Little Red Riding Hood" theme. I took a photo of a half pomegranate, and manipulated, painted, shaded, pushed and prodded it into her face. I duplicated the layer, and manipulated it to create her hood. The background image is a plate of pomegranates in watercolor brush, softened so as not to overpower the main figures. Then I painted a hand and a pomegranate that is being offered to her as "bait"? "reward"? Something?

I have a lot to think about today. I know I have achieved much, with Renata, in less than a year, and I can be proud of my accomplishments. There have been endless sources of frustrations, but these will exist whether I take this position for another year or not. The difference then will be, I will have no control over the situation, and it might easily revert to what it was before we put in all this work. IF I take the job, it will mean I might be working with someone who won't be as easy to work with as Renata. Maybe no one at all, since no one applied for the position I have right now in six rounds of postings last year. Did I mention our school does not have the best of reputations right now? Do you wonder why, reading my rants? :)

I will be still, and listen to what the Universe whispers to me.

As part of the process of becoming more authentically me, I am participating in another amazing blogging book club 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women hosted by the Incomparable and Highly Creative, and Resourceful, and Amazing Jamie!

I will be blogging about this daily, but I want to start by acknowledging my creative past.

I was always a creative kid. Doodling, fascinated with beads, filling notebooks with gibberish even before I understood human language. My father was an artist himself, an architect and a lover of all the arts. He made sure my life was steeped in the beauty of music, the lyricism of fine arts, the enchanting lines of architecture, the wonder of photography.

It was not until I entered the school system that I started to feel that being eroded day by day with constant criticism, constant comparison, constant rules.

  • I wrote my first poem at age 8 about a butterfly. My teacher laughed at it.
  • I was in a choir in elementary school. Our teacher would walk around to listen to us, and she told me to lip sync because I was throwing the others off.
  • In my grade 8 art class, my watercolor of a woman was scoffed at by the teacher saying it looked more like a bull frog!
  • I took piano lessons for 8 years (a lot of 8's) and when I joined the conservatory, my piano teacher screwed up his face like he swallowed a whole grove of lemons, and said "You have a lovely musicality (enter lemon face) but your technique is appalling."

Did that stop me? In some ways, yes (I gave up the piano and was afraid to sing). In some ways, no (I kept writing and painting).

I hated school until I went to university. There I found praise, encouragement, and respect for my creations and my ideas. I found professors who were not only creative themselves but who inspired creativity in us through their assignments.

What has it taught me? To be a better teacher. To encourage my students' creativity, to give them choices, to honor their interpretations and respect their visions. Because no matter what, no one has the right to shut someone else down because they see the world, and paint it, in a different light.

That is what I have learned.

I hope your days are bright, your decisions easy and your creativity fruitful! :)

Blessed be :)

37 comments:

KathrynAntyr said...

Isn't it sad how so many people throw wet blankets? I had the good fortune of teaching high school for two years, a graphic design class. I realized early on how important it was to nurture the creative spirit in each and every one of my students. Today I continue to nurture other creative spirits and hope my work continues in this direction. My first step though is to rekindle my own spirit and start nurturing *ME*.

This is going to be a fantastic journey! Great to meet you.

Kim Mailhot said...

Isn't the strength of the creative spirit incredible ? Those "critics" tried to shame you into hiding your light but in the end, your spirit found its own way to keep shining wherever it could!
And the world is better for it !
Shine on, Fruity lady !;-)

(Ps : Sending a wish to the Fruit Gods that your answer comes quickly and easily...)

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you Genie...thank you for sharing your creative past.

Peace,
Lil
powerofcreation.blogspot.com

todayandeveryday said...

We are all here to help lift each other up. What could be more fun and life fulfilling than that. I love your collage today. Beautiful!
Peace~
Dawn

Boho mom said...

Yay for you for holding onto yourself and your dreams.
Some people, even adults I tell my daughter, aren't necessarily right just because they're adults.

It's so great to hear that you took this discouragement from early teachers, turned it around and applied it to your own teaching skills - awesome!

I wish you were my hatchling's teacher!

Fabulous artwork!!!

Christine Claire Reed said...

Oh how I wish more teachers knew their power. I still sting at the memory of being in 7th grade choir and standing at that piano while she had us sing notes to see where we belonged. When I tried some of the higher notes, she giggled at me. Not a big deal -- except that I LOVED to sing more than anything in the world and from that moment on, I never sang again in front of anyone. Now, looking back, I know she was giggling because I had a low voice for such a small girl. And now I know I have a wonderful voice :) but all the singing I have NOT done because of that one very brief moment.

So thank you for paying attention, thank you for all the children you will affect in a positive way.

Judi said...

I'm not doing this book - but I am kibitzing!

I am surprised at how many people got shot down as kids - since we all see things from our own perspective, we often don't see our fellow "walking wounded". With so many who have been discouraged for company - I hope that the healing begins in earnest.

Fatma said...

The time has come for us to get together and uplift each other.

A teacher can have such a powerful influence on our lives. I have been blessed with having teachers who were accepting of and pushing us to uncover our best selves. I believe every teacher should read Anne Sullivan's story and her influence on her student Helen Keller's life.

What you learned has inspired you to turn around and be an empowering influence for your students. I look forward to being part of your journey of blossoming into who you really are.

Dia said...

When I jumped over here, there were 8 comments!
I liked Judi's comment of the importance of recognizing places our 'fellows' got shot down as well!
I had a mix of praise & those nasty, usually unintended shootings. My dad sang, played the piano (taught by a HS friend), & i also always doodled, & didn't stop at 12 (Drawing on Rt side of Brain - that's when many DO, & get stuck at that level), in HS our choir teacher worked to get a scolarship for a gal with a beautiful voice - who was tired of school, & NOT interested. I remember her saying at the end of the year, "gee, maybe I should have done that for you" (College prep thru school, & KNEW I was going on - played the piano for our Girls Choir, & had a decent voice) Janet did have an exceptional gift, & later formed her own band, after beauty school :)

Good luck with the decision abt your career!

Kavindra said...

Oh Gosh, I thought I was the only one. I have a great story, but to make it short, the nuns told me I could be in glee club but only if I promised not to sing (I did get to use the props and dance around with the others.) I still laugh about it. Hey, I LOVED those props and the synchronized movement. (Baby fly girls!)

C said...

genie~ i love your fruity illustrations/designs! thanks for starting to share your creative past. i firmly believe that the creative being in us emerges at some time no matter how hard it has been shot down. i'm so glad that you are taking the criticisms that you had as a child as a lesson to encourage creativity in your students! yay!

I think your work is unique and beautiful! looking the forward to sharing the 12 secrets with you!
christy

rebecca said...

it still amazes how some people/teachers stifle their students' creativity. well, i've had my experience with the POD, but that was as an adult and much different, i believe. what i'm talking about here is belittling, making fun or tearing down a student's creativity in elementary school or high school when the images of themselves and how others see them is still very tenuous and fragile. i just hate it. and, good for you, that you persisted! but, even better, it made YOU a better teacher!

Again, you are doing such beautiful, beautiful work on Photoshop that I am in awe. You inspire me in some many ways Genie. You are truly a good role model for children and adults alike,

((hugs))
rebecca

Tabitha said...

I deeply dislike that so many would steal your joy that way, but I'm very grateful that others were sent to uplift and encourage you. You are a wonderful artist and writer. I pray you will never give up either, for that would be a tragedy.

*Big Hugs*

Kris said...

Wow, Genie, I am loving your photoshop work!!! You have a wonderful sense of beauty in your dynamic on the screen!

BTW, you sound like a rare teacher to encourage students' unique creative processes: BRAVO!

In Joy,
Kristen

Odd Chick said...

I found you from Vulture Peak Muse and your blog is fantastic. You are a genius with Photoshop, something I'm just beginning to learn. I identified with you are your creative determination! Even though I didn't get criticized, I was never encouraged- so I try to encourage all those who have an inkling of wanting art in their lives.

Pen said...

you keep going, the world needs more people like you in the education system!

as for your art and this creative journey. it's so good to be sharing this with you again!

Pearl Maple said...

Congratulations on taking on the 12 Secrets Challenge and great art posts to kick off the project. Am enjoying everyone’s posts and will be posting my contribution shortly, waiting for the glue to dry can be a long process!

Tori said...

I love your fruit pictures!

It sounds like your are very good at your job. It also sounds like your job stresses you out a lot. Whatever you choose, you'll still be a great asset to your school. You're a kind, caring, and inspiring person!

I did not join The Next Chapter this round, but I'm loving hearing about this new book. It sounds very empowering.

Lisa said...

Interesting and beautifully intriguing pieces. Thank goodness for great teachers. I can't imagine what makes someone think that it's ok to laugh at a child.

intothedawn said...

Its so awful how adults can squelch the creativity of children-- but so wonderful that you were able to hang on to yours and let it blossom, and even learn from an unhappy past memory.

Looking forward to journeying with you.

creativehealinggoddess said...

The picture reminds me of Persephone meets Red Riding Hood.. and your post was very interesting that you had a good nurturing environment during University.

It does show through that you bring this into your job and here too.

floreta said...

you strike me as very intelligent and i'm glad you didn't let people bring you down. it seems too often that people are quick to stop creativity. it's a shame.

gemma said...

Someday, someone will look back and remember you. You may not know how inspiring you are to that person. Just a few kind words of encouragement from you can change the world.

Rowena said...

You reminded me of the time in 5th grade when I did not get into the art class that we had to apply to. Apparently, they didn't think my crayon rendition of an impressionist painting was real art. Maybe it just looked like scribbles to them.

A few months later when I drew a shaded tree for a display on the bulletin board, the art teacher came running. I don't remember much about that art class, just that they didn't think I was good enough to start with... and I knew they just didn't GET it.

I was lucky to always have faith in my artistic abilities (until college, when I entered the "real" world, I think.)

linda said...

You have learned many lessons in your life and now you are passing them on to those who are fortunate to be your students...is there any greater gift than the ability to do this?

thank you for sharing you and who you are ...your determination to be genie and continue on your path no matter what is deeply inspiring as well as lovely to watch...I look forward to seeing you in 12 secrets :)

Steve Emery said...

I love BOTH of your fruity ladies, but especially Clementine. I think it is very cool that you manipulated the fruit to become her face. She IS Clementine!

I hope you attain a sense of peace and inner wisdom about your job situation... Something that helps you know what to do, and lets you move forward with confidence. Enough confidence to overcome the new challenges and obstacles that will inevitably arise.

Steve Emery said...

Oh - and as for the discouragement of teachers. Sigh. Sometimes it makes me angry. Other times sad. And yet other times I wonder if it's like the soil a seedling has to push through - it's tough, not everything or everyone makes it through, but when you do, you are firmly rooted in it - almost like the criticism makes you stronger, more determined, more yourself.

Jenn said...

Heeheehee! I love your fruity ladies too! Especially the red riding hood/pomegranate.

I'm glad that the meeting with the other teachers went well. It sounds like you may need to handle your co-workers more like they are students.

I was so saddened to hear about your experiences with art growing up. The fact that you have persevered just shows what a beautiful strong spirit you have!

Best of luck with your decision about the job next year! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your "safety net" smile Genie Sea.

I'm so looking forward to being part of our group and can't believe the support all around already.

Sharing the journey,
Lil

The Muse said...

How the universe intertwines us all...today i posted this on my blog:
"Artistry is the mere act of being human, I believe. There are so many beautiful acts that we can achieve and create...day by day...no matter who we are. Simply put, we all have greatness within us. The task in life is to share it with others." The Muse

And I come here to read about the doors closed to you as a child by the unfortunate ignorance of others... and yet i leave this blog, rejoicing in knowing others opened those doors and you were brave enough (and curious enough to venture in) !

Tammie Lee said...

Oh I love that these horrible experiences taught you to be a better teacher!
I also had a choir teacher that did the same to me and a similar thing with an art teacher when young. Amazing what happens in a life time. Some of the terrible things help us to find who we are, unusual gifts of a sort.
I am really enjoying your new art. You seem to already have a style of your own.

Caroline said...

You are a gifted artist Genie...glad you followed your heart. Just look at all the wonderful tarot cards you created and now these very cool photo paintings. I can't wait to see where your next endeavor leads you.

Her Speak said...

"Honor their creativity"--Love it. Wrote it down so I can use that in my own classroom. It's interesting how strong a force creativity can be in your life, but at the same time so fragile and easily crushed by others. It is so important for us to Honor people's reactions and experiences as every experience is valid.

Beautiful, beautiful insight! I can't wait to read more about your journey. :)

Much Joy, Merry Making and Many Blissings~*
Molly

Caroline said...

You ability to transcend the off-putting comments of others and to be involved in teaching yourself is most inspirational!

And your digital collages and paintings are wonderful - so expressive.

Secret Wish Jar said...

Yay you that you didn't give up writing and painting despite those very unhelpful comments. People often don't realise how hurtful the things they say are and how much impact they can have.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you.

Diana said...

I love your view on art and creativity! well said.

Rebekah said...

I had no idea those two pieces you shared were Photoshopped! They are extraordinary!

I like what you wrote about your creative journey. There a re so many people who have let their creativity go by the wayside due to educational wounding.

Most of the time, I think schools would do better if teachers in general would take creative risks more often, and if school administrations would let them.

I am glad to have met you through the Next Chapter. It promises to be quite the adventure!