Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-02-11

Perspectives

(click on image to enlarge)

My fascination with trees continues with this painting I made in Photoshop last night. I have been trying to work with perspective and light. A different view, another outlook. Looking up instead of out or in.

I am working on perspective in my life as well. Trying to step away and give myself a different view while so many things mull in my head.

Like my art. I know at some point, I need to pick up a brush and start painting on canvas or paper. But sometimes, I feel this subtle pressure, and it's not coming from within. I know some people believe that graphic arts are not as worthy or as "artistic" as conventional art. There seems to be a subterranean hierarchy in the art world. Some artists seem to be more worthy of attention and praise than others. I don't subscribe to that, as I have written at length what art is to me. Yet, I must be honest and say it troubles me at times. It troubles me because there is yet another hurdle I must overcome, or ignore. The choice is mine.

I love painting digitally, for now. It's a training ground for me. It allows me a freedom that manual art doesn't. It allows me the containment I need at the moment to gain confidence in my vision and technique. In my artistic voice. And if some people believe that this art is not worthy of being framed and hung on a wall, then that is their choice. No?

That's not going to change my relationship with my process. And part of my process is blogging about it.

I have been participating in a a lot of blogging initiatives, and they feed my mind and art. I am engaged by everyone's perspectives, and particularly fascinated when that perspective seems to echo throughout the blogosphere. There is movement, acceptance, and support. Some give of it freely to others. Others are concerned with their own. Still others give it only to some. That is all perfectly valid. Each person gives what he or she can or wants to. I like visiting people's blog homes, and sitting down to enjoy their success, give support or presence for their agonies, voice my thoughts on their concerns. This is part of being in a community, which this very much is to me. A tribe, a support group, a family.

That is why I thank everyone so much. You do not know how much your comments mean to me whether they are one word or paragraphs. Whether they are daily or occasional. I welcome them with open mind and heart because I know they are made with the best intentions. And they give me perspective. A new look inside from outside.

I have written at length about my job s a teacher. I am so blessed to love my job, because I believe it is a very important job. My students' future rides on what I am able to impart to them; how I give them the opportunity to grow intellectually and creatively in a safe environment; how I expose them to different perspectives and broaden their own. I sometimes have to overcome barriers of attitude, or trauma, or walls of bigotry, or chasms of language. But I do not give up, because I think it is important; because I think they are important.

I also have to deal with a lot of frustrations, and they almost never come from the kids. Teens will always have that innate angst that bubbles out sometimes in very bizarre ways. I can deal with that. It's the adults who perturb me. Adults who are also in charge of these kids' futures; adults who refuse change or a different perspective; adults who dig their heals in their right to be right, so much so that they become enormous obstacles to everyone's sanity and growth.

Connie over at Dirty Footprints wrote a post about the possibility that the Arts program will be cut from schools.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Instead of cutting a "non-essential" course, as they see it, they need to look at it from a different perspective: the absolute necessity of the Arts not only for students, but for teachers as well.

We have been getting a lot of Professional Development sessions this year, trying to encourage teachers to use more "high yield" strategies. Meaning teachers are boring kids to death.

There are two sides of this coin. Some kids are over-entertained. It's hard to compete with the lure of digital fun and excitement. I don't come with a PVR (TiVo) and I can't be shuffled to play a different tune, but I do manage to keep my students engaged and learning. Why? Because my lessons are varied and creative. Why? Because I am creative.

Then there is the other side. There are teachers who have been teaching the same lesson, the same way for years and years. I don't know how they do it. To me that's water torture. But really, have they been taught differently? Have they been given the true opportunity to try something different? They have been told to, but what good is that?

You can't ask a bear to fly without giving it wings.

Teachers need to be allowed and encouraged to explore their own creativity through workshops, not be sat in a room told that their lessons are not "high yield" enough. Sure, you can bake a cake with a recipe, but it will only be a great cake if you own the recipe. If you love the recipe and the art of making a cake. The Board and the Administration like to dole out recipes without providing kitchens or utensils or ingredients. They say their teachers are bad bakers without giving them the opportunity to experiment with their own baking skills.

That's because the very people who say that teachers can't think outside the box, are firmly entrenched in boxes themselves.

So I am baking an idea. A proposal that I will take to the Board. It might blow their lids, but if they go for it, it will really address the issue not put a little band aid on a gaping wound.

It's time to look up, see things from a different perspective. Enjoy the light playing with the leaves and bursting through the trees. And take one huge, refreshing gulp of breath.

Update: I totally forgot it was Jamie's Wishcasting Wednesday! Doh! But this post fits right in. I wish for my idea to take flight and change the face of education! There! Weee!

26 comments:

Jamie said...

Yes! I stand with you firmly in the necessity of our creative wings - for ourselves and for the world.

I can't wait to see what you bake! I believe. I believe. I believe.

hugs,
Jamie

Jamie said...

As Genie wishes for herself and for the face of education, so I wish also.

Here's to being the change you want to see in the world! Rock it out, Genie :)

Caroline said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish for her also.

And you are just the person to get this to work!

Tiara said...

As Genie wishes for herself and for the face of education, so I wish also.

Oh man I've got plenty to say about education. Art is totally underrated! I totally agree with you about the need to reframe arts education and its place in education. Every aspect of humanity is important and sacred; there's no point shoving one away.

Kim Mailhot said...

May you always find the wind you need to keep those creative wings open and flying...

todayandeveryday said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish for her also.

"Teachers need to be allowed and encouraged to explore their own creativity" so very true. . . to teach by example is the greatest teaching of all! You will blow their minds for sure and with all of the great wish support you have it is bound to come to fruition.
Peace~
Dawn

Tracy said...

I think your picture is fabulous! I love trees. :)

Boho mom said...

As Genie wishes for herself and for the tiny buds of artists in students, so I wish for her also.

I think you ROCK. It bothers me, really that my daughter gets an art class once every 3 weeks!! I think it's ridiculous. You are so spot on with your concerns here - go girl!

And your art creations are stunning. We live in a digital age and art is evolving. It always has and it always will.

Connie said...

"That's because the very people who say that teachers can't think outside the box, are firmly entrenched in boxes themselves."

Amen!

Peace & Love.

Her Speak said...

As Genie wishes for herself and her students, so I wish also! Blessed Be!!~*

Oh my lots to say...
Firstly, I find your argument about digital art REALLY interesting. In my own department there are so many varying opinions on what digital art really is, what it MEANS, the sort of skills it takes to create and so on. It's a sign of our times--it's Art's duty to adapt to our lives, to adapt to our realities. I'm pretty sure once we started moving away from fresco and oil paints were introduced that that blew people's minds too! There was a time when photography was the lowest of the low in the art community because there wasn't "evidence of the makers hand".

Where your art stacks up in comparison to the Canon of Western Art means jack s***--you didn't create the list of masterpieces, some other dead white guy did! It's not YOUR list, or OUR list, it's their list. But these works are YOUR art, pieces of YOU. You decide their value.

Go out there, paint what you feel, stimulate young minds, and stir up that Universe!! :)

Much Joy, Many Blissings & MERRY MAKING!~*
Molly

dieadjustormigrate said...

as genie wishes for herself,so i wish for her also.

you go, girl! as a fellow educator and firm believer in the arts i hear you 150%!!!!

olwyn

Tabitha said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish for her also.
Graphic art is just as worthy as conventional art.
You So Rock!

Jane said...

Let me first say that I love this painting! I would love to learn how to paint digitally.

Your post reminds me of how I wish I was a teacher. When I first started out in college, I was majoring in early childhood education but switched to Fine Art. I love working with kids. I'm glad you do and I'm sure your students love you!!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely post! As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also.

Judi said...

Write first - read later - that's what Suzie told me to do - I keep forgetting - I'm always wanting to read the other comments first!

So, at the risk of repeating something already said: Oooh! - so many things to comment on!

My daughter and my brother are both graphic design artists - maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think that it takes a real artist to do things digitally.Any type of creation is artistic - pencil, paint, food prep,fancy skateboarding - even my crazy boxes. The people who put down graphic art are most likely people who can't do it.They probably have cobwebs in their brains from stagnant thinking!

Hurray for stirring up the educational system - always did hate the "color inside the lines, always" attitude of the system.

As Genie wishes for herself and the future of education, so I also wish. WEEEE!

Anna said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I wish also.

So much to comment on!

I have always been of the mind that the creative process, intent, and meaning trump medium. If the medium satisfies and communicates your needs, who cares what some art snobs say. The arts are ever evolving. It was not too long ago that Beethoven's composition style was cutting edge, Wagner's opera aspirations were scandalous, and the Beatles were destroying the youth. Now they are all revered as classics.

Second, your students are lucky to have a teacher that is passionate, invested, and creative as you. I am interested in seeing what your bake up! Fight the good fight!

Merry writings!

Serena said...

A real artist, to me, is someone who creates ANY form of art. I admire and marvel at them all. Sadly, I have seen so many judgements in the art arena...self titled 'experts' always willing and at the ready to put another art form down when there is enough room for ALL! I have heard groups of oil artists put acrylic artists down because - in their view - if you don't paint with oils, you're not a 'real' artist. I have seen abstract and impressionist artists put down artists how strive for realism in their art. Why? Why can't we all support each other and appreciate each and every facet of art?! I have always loved to paint realism yet, more than a few times, I have been made to feel like my work is not valid....the critics are always those who do impressionistic, abstract, or free expression art....I often wonder if they put down my art form because they would be incapable of painting realism themselves? There is so much snobbery out there and, sometimes, it can really hurt. Artists are generally sensitive people but I think we also need to grow thick skins to, amazingly, cope with criticism from our very own. I believe, we are all creative...let's celebrate that, rather than belittle and stifle the works of others. Your art IS valid and beautiful, Genie, but I do understand the concerns you speak of. I was surprised and disheartened to see so much judgement in the art world. There are also the ones who believe that, if you don't stick by the rules, you are either cheating or you're not a 'real' artist, yet so many new techniques and art forms were discovered because 'rules' were broken.

As Genie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Be the change you want to see in the world, Genie....walk the talk and show them that all things are possible. The education system sounds like it could really use some fresh ideas. Go, girl!

Sorry for the long comment. Criticism in the art world really touches a raw nerve with me and I feel for anyone who has to deal with it.

love, light and peace,
serena

LissaL said...

Got kids in middle school. My son wakes up every morning (school days)& counts down the days until the weekend.(how sad is that?)
So don't blow your stack-just go blow their lids off!
As Genie wishes for herself so I wish for her also.

linda said...

genie, your students are lucky to have you standing up for them, being by their sides...

your trees are beautiful ...I love the perspective!

Jenn said...

As Genie wishes, so I wish for her also!

You have such a wonderful wish! Perhaps if enough brave teachers like you stand up for positive changes we'll really start to see some good stuff happen!

Tori said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish for her also!

You'll blow their minds! As a high school senior I've had pretty much every kind of teacher by now. I know the kinds who make class boring, the ones who don't try, or the ones who shouldn't even be teachers. My school has gone through teachers like toilet paper! The administration was desperate to fill the spots and hired the first people to apply. That was before. With our new principle, we're going to have good teachers again.

We need more teachers who really, really do care about us. Teachers like you! I'd love to have you at my school. =) I bet you bring that creative flair to school and inspire all your students! <3

Sarah said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish for herself!
Loved your post!!!I teach younger children - can so relate to what you said!! Sarah

Steve Emery said...

Wow - I love the painting and the education thoughts. So on target - it's creativity and the teacher's deep engagement with the subject and the students that engages the students!

As for the digital vs. "real" art thing - I don't go for the hierarchy approach. But I know that the manual art process engages more of the artist, because there is more outside the artist's control, and the brush and the paint and the paper all have souls of their own. I'm not saying the computer and mouse can't also cause accidents, etc., but they're not as multidimensional in their freedom to take over and run away with things. And there are tactile and texture issues with manual art that can't be reproduced on the screen. So I rejoice in the idea that you might pick up a brush - but when you're ready. Your artistic thinking is being matured in the digital world so you won't be quite so disoriented when you encounter all the additional variables in the "real" mediums. That all makes a lot of sense to me.

Genie Sea said...

Thank you each and every one of you! I cannot express how much your comments mean to me. You are a blessing. :)

Danette said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Genie, I am often struck with how lucky your students are, and what a magical influence you have been and continue to be in their lives. Thank you for giving so much to inspire future generations!

Ann Vargas said...

Oh Genie, I love you! You must start a digital art movement...or hey, who cares what the world thinks about it anyway? It is what it is in its own right. Your work is beautiful and meaningful.Who decides what art should be? Let's do away with labels and just accept things for what they are. The other thing I wanted to say is that your students are lucky to have you as a teacher! And I would love to meet you and sip all your wonderful wisdom and insights.