Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-02-12

Focus

(click on image to enlarge)

I painted this piece to represent the growth that is coming our way. Spring is around the corner, and I am so looking forward to it. I am looking forward to the way the air seems so full of promise. The budding flowers. The trees sprouting their baby pods that will grow into leaves. The growing light.

I am looking forward to spring cleaning, and preparing the garden for its face lift. I am looking forward to rearranging my home. I am looking forward to making some minor changes that will improve my home.

I am looking forward to taking walks, and seeing smiles on people's faces.

I am looking forward to sitting in a park or on a patio and drafting the blueprints of my future: my Tarot deck, my proposal to the Board, my pop-up book for adults.

I am looking forward to greeting my friend's little one into the world for the first time. I am looking forward to seeing this world through his eyes.

I am looking forward to renewal.

I had an epiphany last night. This relates to my relationship to myself. All these years, I have been cataloging in my mind what is wrong with me, and what I need to improve. That's a good thing, right?

Well, no. It's wrong. It's had me focusing on what I lack. I lack perfection. So do we all. But why constantly focus on it? Why constantly live with the constant "if only" in my life? I would be beautiful if only I would lose weight. I would be happy if only I could publish a book. I would be fulfilled if only I had a mate. I would have so much fun if only I had more money.

That's just the wrong lens to be staring out of. I am adjusting my lens. That is what the above painting also represents. It represents a shift in focus.

I have decided to focus on my strengths and talents. On what makes me beautiful, happy, complete, productive. On what makes me healthy, vital and strong. On what fulfills me and nurtures me. On what puts a smile on my face and a song in my heart. On what makes me unique and necessary in this world.

That's what I will focus on. What will you focus on? :)

Speaking on focus. Judi made this amazing award, and gave me the incredible honor of bestowing it on me. If you have not visited Judi's blog, you are in for a huge treat! Her humor and wisdom, her perspective and understanding are so unique and refreshing!



Thank you Judi! You are precious to me! :)

If you feel like a cup, grab it and run! :)

16 comments:

Boho mom said...

Oh my gosh - that badge is so cute and cozy! Congrats.

I LOVE your eye art! It's freaky and wild and BRILLANT!! Totally cool, and I can so relate about waiting for spring...it can't come fast enough.

And oh yes! Embrace the here and now! You hit the nail on the head. I am forever whining on the inside how my life revolves around me getting a car on the road again. THEN my life will run smooth, THEN I will be able to get a better job, THEN I will be happy.
Thank you Genie - I sooooooo needed to read this. Your words are truly genius.

And thanks for your awesome, empowering support on my latest blog post. Seriously, you are the best!

Tracy said...

Very creative & simply awesome!

LissaL said...

Eyes are the window to the soul. In yours I see the tree of life. You give support to so many & the coffee is always on. Just make sure that your cup is filled. Sugar, Half & Half & of course hazelnut creamer will always be at my house for you. As you already know today could be a day of "if only's" for me,( I may roll back & forth-it works like that) then again I have been so blessed with so much love. What "if only" I had never met you? that would be such a loss as well. You put a smile on my face & a song in my heart!
Adjust your lens & hopefully you will see what we all do, our Beautiful,Creative, Talented, Genie Sea

Kim Mailhot said...

My mom/guru always says :

"Focus on what is right with you. What is wrong with you is besides the point. What is right with you is the starting point."

Good one, right ? Let's do it !!!

I am so looking forward to the spring too - I am so enjoying the fact that the light is brighter ! That is definitely a good starting point !

Happy Thursday, Genie !

Rowena said...

absolutely, focusing on what's wrong with us makes our flaws become magnified, and keeps us from seeing the positives.

I had a revelation like that many years ago when I realized I wasn't broken. There wasn't anything to fix. There wasn't some deep flaw. I worked just fine.

It's a big step towards happiness to start seeing yourself for who you are instead of who you aren't.

Tabitha said...

The eye art is awesome Genie! When we focus on the positives the negatives no longer have control over us, so Yay for you!

Her Speak said...

Excellent piece, I love the colors you chose. I'm looking forward to seeing green! Little shoots and sprouts...

Here's to thinking SpRiNg!
Much Joy, Many Blissings~*
Molly

thezeninyou said...

Genie! I am loving this. And now you are really on to something... We all need to focus on our strengths and talents. You are beautiful inside and out! You have many gifts to share with the world...so be patient dear one... All the good you put out there is coming to you!

Serena said...

What a fabulous painting! Great perspective ~

As a devotee of A New Earth and the Abraham-Hicks teachings, I am finding it easier now to focus on the positive aspects of myself and anything else in my life. For some time now, I've focused on the positives and my wants, not the negatives and my lack of's. I truly believe it has put me in a better mindset and I feel so much more content and happy because of it.

Congratulations on your award....it's so sweet!

intothedawn said...

Its so easy sometimes for those "if onlys" to creep into our thoughts. Its wonderful that your deep sense of self-awareness lead you to nip this in the bud-- not only nip it, but completely turn it around. And not only turn it around, but turn it into ART! You are an amazing woman; don't let those "if onlys" tell you otherwise!

Tori said...

I love this piece! It's beautiful, and the colors are perfect.

Everyone tends to focus on what's 'wrong' with them. It's so much harder for us to see the greatness in ourselves. You've got a lot of it! Those if only's are just plain downers. It would be better if people in the world just didn't even think of them!

Judi said...

I love your tree! It reminds me of Yggdrasil - The World Tree.

"If only" has ruined many lives. Just like "I can't" and "I'm not" - I find that "if only" is hanging around when I find compliments hard to accept, because it won't let me believe something good about myself.

"I am" - "I can" - "I will" should become our mantras.

You go girl! You do good work Spirit Lifter. ;)

rebecca said...

Now you got it baby girl....yes! Focus on your strengths not weaknesses, on what makes you happy not sad, on what you have rather than what you don't have. And, you know what, G? You are already complete. You are an amazing, talented and giving woman that brings light into this world. You are complete. How apropos that this epiphany comes during the season of rebirth. (( hugs))

Tammie Lee said...

So wonderful that you have decided to focus on your strengths and talents! Yea.

I just posted the award you gave me. Thank you so much!

Plus I love the art with this post.

Genie Sea said...

Boho Mama - It's a very cute badge indeed! Isn't our Judi so talented? Grab it! You can use some java. :) Thank you so much and you're more than welcome honey! :)

Tracy - Thank you sweetie :)

Lissa - Thank you honey! I am so happy I met you too! :) I can always use coffee! :)

Kim - So great to see you back! :) You have one wise mama! :)

Rowena - It might have taken a bit longer, but I am so glad I am here finally! :)

Tabby - Thank you sweetie :) YaY for all of us! :)

Molly - Thank you honey! :) Here's to spring! :)


Caroline - Thank you sweetie! :) Good coming is good! :)

Serena - Thank you honey! :) I am feeling contentment starting to envelope me, finally! :)


(intothe)Dawn - Thank you so much sweetie! :) I am happy I turned things around, because they certainly weren't working the other way.

Tori - Thank you honey! :) It is certainly a whole different and much lovelier world without the "if onlies"! :)

Judi - Thank you sweetie! :) Now that you mention it, it does remind me of the World Tree! Yay for subconscious influences! :) Indeed, the inability to accept compliments, is the inability to accept our wonderfulness. You are indeed wonderful! :)

Rebecca - Thank you so much honey! :) The timing is very apropos indeed, and no coincidence! :)

Tammie Lee - Oh yay! I will be coming over to see your much deserved award! Thank you sweetie! :)

Shades of Scorpio said...

Oh I do love those tree arts!!! how GENIUS to put it in the eye....