Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-02-13

Gremlin Stomp

(click on image to enlarge)

I'm loving this week of 12 Secrets as Jamie leads us in our ongoing fight against Gremlins!

This is right up my alley, as I don my steel-toed boots and start stomping away!

Gremlins you say?

Honey! Gremlins are coming out of the woodwork inside and out! Inside and out! So let the games begin.

Meet the Pink Gremlin: She is so soft and sweet and cuddly, but from her scarlet lips come the poison zingers. "Are you sure you can do this?" "Do you think maybe you are being a bit too strong?" "People don't like assertive women, maybe you should tone it down a bit, sweetie."

To this gremlin, I say. "Yes, I can do this! Yes, I am strong and assertive! It took me long enough to be this way, so take your pink sweetness and shove along!"

Meet the Sunny Gremlin: He is a happy fellow, all smiles and sunshine with a dark underbelly that will trip you up. He likes to deliver one-line jokes at your expense. And he laughs and laughs and laughs.

I stuff a nice big cloth in his pie hole and skip along.

Meet the Green Gremlin: He is so full of bile and jealousy, and is determined to thwart you at every turn. He likes to make you second guess yourself. Criticizes your every move. He flat out refuses to cooperate and when you confront him, he cries. Like a baby. Ah, the old guilt card!

Stomp!
Refuse to feel guilt for your convictions, and your successes. Plow over the little bastard and keep going. He lacks the wherewithal to do anything but spew toxins.
Stomp don't ingest!

Meet the Blue Gremlin: She likes to appear friendly and comforting. She is always present when you are feeling low, determined to serve you tea and depression. Comforting you with words like. "You can't win all the time." "You couldn't really do it anyway." "Nobody loves you but me." "Success isn't for everyone."

I shove the tea and tissues right back at her, and declare, "Go away! I can win, even when I seem not to, because I gain something from every experience, be-otch! I can do anything I choose to, and I love me, no matter what! Be gone!"

Meet the Red Gremlin: She is hot with her fury and bubbles over with rage. Rage at the world, anger with everything and everyone in it. Hatred for you if you do not join her. She spurs you on with her little forked tongue. "How dare they do that to you!" "Who do you think you are fooling?" "Shut up, no one is listening, and no one cares!"

The best antidote for this gremlin is smiling. A huge, lovely smile plastered on your face, even if you have to do it over gritted teeth. Smile, baby, smile. And she will dissolve in a fiery puddle of her own stewing.

Do you recognize these gremlins? They multiply and have cousins that echo inside of you. They like to make us into their puppets, but no, they are full of hot air. The only power they have is the one we give them. They are meaningless, unhappy little critters who like company in their misery. Do not give it to them!

Laugh!
Rejoice!
Play!
Paint!
Draw!
Dance!
Who cares if it's not perfect? Do it for the sheer delight of it!
Hop into rain puddles!
Skip along singing a tune of your choosing even if it is off key. Even if no one else is singing!

And they will dissolve.
They will flee holding their ears in terror, because their little nasty tricks did not work!

This I know is true.

Blessed be! :)

29 comments:

June said...

Amazing and entertaining post Genie i love this and recognise all of the gremlins !!! ... I think they are always rearing their heads so watching out for em now
Hugs and many thanks for all you do sweetie
June xxxxx

Boho mom said...

You're a genius! A hilarious, amazing, creative genius!

I adore this post, and the way you've identified your gremlins.

E for Excellent!!!

Tabitha said...

Woooo Hoooo!!
BRAVO!!
The empowerment oozed from this post and I grabbed myself a huge helping of it my friend!

You Are Awesome!!

Tracy said...

A wonderful post, Genie! :)

Judi said...

Love it - love it! The gremlins of life. . .they are out there lurking and now we have the means to recognize them!

Jennifer said...

Such an inspiring, funny and provocative post! Love it! Thank You!~

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

An hilarius and powerful image.

I recognize the gremlins you talk about, not only the ones in my head but some very real, breathing, human ones. I´ve met a few.

Sheila said...

Gee! Why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?! LOL

I think this one is worthy of printing and framing for my creative space...

Claudia said...

Wonderful, thankyou!

Her Speak said...

These profiles are perfect--everyone of them I said, "Yeah I know that one too!"

Maybe our gremlins could be friends so they don't have to bother US anymore. :)

Much Joy, Many Blissings~*
Molly

Serena said...

Ah yes, the dreaded gremlins! I've met quite a few of those characters myself and am practising ignoring them by resetting my focus each time they appear....they can't hurt me unless I allow them too.

Great post, Genie! Stomp those buggers!

Tori said...

Stomp those gremlins! Who wants them around? Not me. Love the post! Good luck stomping gremlins. ;)

thezeninyou said...

I stick a cloth in it's pie hole and skip along...lol...I love that! I can identify with each and everyone of these little nasty critters! It's just a matter of stomping them out. Great post Genie! XOXO

Jenn said...

Way to stomp those gremlins! I think your characterizations of the gremlins are spot on. I think I need to get me some steel-toed boots now :D

peppylady (Dora) said...

This is funny but it makes a strong point.

Coffee is on and I got chocolate today.

Genie Sea said...

June - Thank you sweetheart! :) Hugs! Stomp on those critters! :)

Boho Mama - Thank you sweetness! :) I feel like I just got a gold star! I wear it proudly :)

Tabby - Thank you honey! :) Grab as many helpings as you need! It's a limitless buffet! :)

Tracy - Thank you hon! :)

Judi - hehe. We have the means and now let's smoke the little buggers! ♥ sweetie!

Gypsy - Thank you sweetie! :)

Paula - We all have a few, don't we? And the ones outside only feed on the ones inside. Let's squash 'em! :)

Sheila - LOL! I know, I am not one to hedge around. LOL! What an honor that you want to frame my post, :) Thank you sweetie :)

Claudia - Thank you honey and you're welcome! :)


Molly - Thank you sugar! :)Our gremlins can definitely be friends and they can get together and play at the bottom of the nearest lake. :) Hugs!

Serena - Thank you sweetheart! You are very correct. They can only touch us if we let them. I am not gonna! :)

Tori - Thank you honey! :) No one wants them around. They are downers and boring! :)

Caroline - LOL! I actually laughed too when I wrote that. Thank you honey! :) Let's all stomp away! :)

Jenn - Let's have a steel-toed, gremlin-stomping party! :) Thank you sugar! :)

Peppy - Thank you honey! :) OH! Coffee and chocolate. You know how to make me happy! :)

Love and hugs to all of you! :)

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

FABULOUS post!! I'm laughing so hard, you've nailed them down to a tee.

intothedawn said...

The title of your post combined with the image you created were so evocative when they popped up, I burst out laughing. I thought, "THAT'S IT! PERFECT!" Without reading a word, I knew your gremlins were going down! Love it.

etherealgraphics said...

Genie, I love this . . . I will carry these visuals around with me and smile whenever a particular gremlin rear it's colored head! Thanks!
--Suz

Gemini Visions said...

Wow! What an animated way to identify your "gremlins"....I am familiar with the green and pink one especially, LOL!

D said...

The sunny gremlin is especially annoying. I hate it when those one liners hit.

Genie Sea said...

BArbe - Thank you so much! :)

(intothe)Dawn - Thank you honey! I'm so glad it made you laugh! Those little gremlins are laughable! :)

Suz - Welcome to my blog! Thank you so much! I'm happy to bring a smile to people. :)


Art Visions - Thank you! :) I wanted to turn them into the ridiculous little characters they are! :)

D - Indeed! Sunny G is a pain in the butt! :)

LissaL said...

You nailed them sweetie! I love it!

creativehealinggoddess said...

Claps encore, encore, I knew your post would be entertaining.

Oh I recognize those gremlins anywhere.... I had to re-read its again.

I love the colors too very creative.

Merry Thyme Fairy said...

hi genie! thank you so much for all your comments and taking the time to connect with my posts! awesome depiction of your own gremlins! i love how "visual" it all is. like an upside down rainbow. :) you're awesome and your "fire" is refreshing.

THEE DUCHESS SATURDAY said...

Today, I've learned to daily become the creative woman imprinted upon my soul!

Lisa PN said...

Oh Genie!
I can see each and everyone of these gremlins and i give them the finger and i tell them to fly a kite.

thanks for your lovely post!

Kara aka Mother Henna said...

OMG your illustration is making me laugh out loud and dance the happy happy joy joy dance -- and your naming and resolution for each one -- I loooooooooooooooooooove getting to see inside your head and heART, you know that??? You are brilliant!
Thank you soo much!
xo and zillions of miracles,
k-

Ananda said...

I love your colorful gremlins.