Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-10-04

Steam Roller Baby!

It's 6:44 am on a Saturday, and I'm up! What the heck?

It's not like I didn't get enough sleep. I am wonderfully rested and full of energy. I'm having my morning coffee and ready to meet the day. Of course, before it all begins, I'm going to the gym this morning. Not because I have to, because I want to!

How strange.

I don't know what came first, but this energy I have is not going to go to waste. I want it to grow exponentially, because I am loving it. I feel happy and alive! The fascinating thing about this feeling is that there is no event in my life that is really responsible for it. It's just coming from within.

Am I complaining? Hell, no! Bring it on!

It's funny, but my very good friend, soul sister really, Dawn, called me a "steam roller" yesterday. She meant it as a compliment, I think. We were talking about the changes my partner, Renata, and I are making in our department, and referring to some people's reluctance or fear of change.

It seems I'm pushy and bossy. Both are very unflattering words. I call it assertiveness and a dedication to make things happen. It really puzzles me when adults who know something is not working will not take steps to correct it. It baffles me even more that they feel disgruntled when someone else takes the initiative. I thought that leaders do that. Lead by example. Take on projects and see them to completion.

When she said that to me, the old part of me recoiled. I am very sensitive to criticism, mostly because that is almost exclusively how I was raised. My classic response is defensiveness, gathering my considerably hard shell around me and battening down the hatches.

That reaction did not last long.

I thought. "So what? What if some of those negative nellies, those reluctant complainers were disgruntled with the fact that the changes were happening too quickly? I am not asking any of them to actually do anything, yet they will enjoy the fruit of our labour"

Here are some examples:

We are decluttering the office.

An office is a professional work space. It was so cluttered with unused and dusty objects - filing cabinets, bric-a-brac, old files whose contents were yellowed, boxes full of crap, old unusable equipment, furniture that was both ugly and impractical. All that has been removed or replaced or reorganized to make the office more functional and less of a dumping zone. People have actually told me that they love these changes.

Sometimes a steam roller is necessary in order to get rid of rubble and smooth out surfaces.

We are in the process of replacing a centre bank of cubicles that are both too small for an adult workspace and serve as a huge block of light and vision. They will be dismantled and real, flat desks will take their place along with waist-high book cases for their stuff.

Here is the technical/spacial dilemma.

The bigger desks will take up more floor space. My solution it to assign regular desks to people who are using them as work spaces (4), and get one shared desk for the 2 or 3 other people who just need somewhere to dump their forgotten things. (Things that further clutter the office and our senses.)

The other option is to replace all six cubicles with regular sized desks and put the "dining table" in the kitchen that has no windows and no real light. A lot of people do not like this idea, and I don't blame them.

Can you make everyone happy? I don't think so. Do you go with the majority? I will ask that very question at the next department meeting. Very un-steam-roller-like of me.

The thing is this: These changes needed to happen a long time ago. One's physical environment is crucial to one's outlook. Light and space play a huge factor in our mood. The mood in that office for many years has been gloomy, disgruntled, whiny, and otherwise negative.

That's changing.

The round table with which we replaced the old sitting area allows more people to gather and have their lunch and chat. It's more civilized. I see the smiling faces. Someone said we need a bigger table. That's true, but everything needs to be done in stages. After all, even a steam roller can do so much! :)

Things are organized; procedures have been put in place; there is order. The mood has lightened.

I will not take sole credit for those changes.

I am very fortunate to be working with someone who has the same vision as me and isn't afraid to roll up her sleeves - Renata. This woman is a powerhouse! I am so honored to be working with her! She gets things done before you even have a chance to process the problem! I so admire and respect her, and it's just a bonus that I love her. She is one of my very good friends, and I am so lucky to have her in my life.

I am also very fortunate that several members of the department have also pitched in and gone out of their way to help move, sort, discard and organize.

I choose to focus on that. I choose to focus on the positive results and feedback. Those who are negative can keep their storm clouds hanging over their own heads. That is their choice, but they are not going to rain on my parade. Rain, after all, rusts steam rollers. :)

No comments: