Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-10-11

Giving Thanks.

There is something so magical about Thanksgiving. It doesn't carry the emotional baggage that the Christmas and New Year's holidays seem to bring. I's a time to gather and reflect on our blessings, rather than worry about not having enough room on our Visas to buy gifts, or not having a date December 31st.

It might not have the bright lights and the tinsel that Christmas brings, but it has the warm and heady colours of Fall. Scarlet leaves and orange pumpkins, yellow squash and green apples.

The sunlight is without the relentless fierceness of summer. It paints streets, houses and people with liquid gold.

People gather to eat together and enjoy each other's company. Turkeys roast and sweet potatoes mash, cranberries jell and gravies sizzle. Wines are full and cider sparkles.

I am lucky enough to be invited to two Thanksgiving dinners. I am making Russian potato salad for one, and Greek spanakopita for the other. People are so kind to share their homes and families with me, so the loss of my own family is not so acute. I am so thankful for this alone.

I hope everyone is welcomed with love-filled nourishment and dappled by Fall's lovely pallet.

1 comment:

Ami said...

Lovely!