Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-10-29

And so, it snowed...

I awoke this morning to see a fine coating of snow on the ground, and despite the weather reports, despite the fact the I have lived in Canada almost my whole life, my jaw dropped.

It isn't even Halloween yet!

Snow has become a particularity big challenge since I have become a home owner. It's disposing of the stuff that daunts me. The salting, the shoveling, the unburying make me slightly ill. Snow is beautiful when it falls but when it crusts over into a pile of dirty ghoulish figures on your front garden making the sidewalks narrower and the driving more treacherous, it ain't so pretty anymore.

But...

Snow does lighten up the dark winter. The sky reflects it almost lovingly.
Snow does make a soothing crunching sound when you are walking on it, especially in the quiet of the night.
Snow does taste refreshing when it hits your tongue, as it falls in dainty patterns from the sky.
Snow does make lovely sculptures. Snow people, snow animals and snow castles.
Snow does smell fresh, like pillows of oxygen lying on the ground.
Snow does make the city noises hush. It tames the obnoxious tones into reverent whispers.
Snow does make the hard chill of sub-zero ease.

There is no shortage of tips on how to deal with natures white dump. I suppose I can stay stocked with huge bags of salt, and make sure the sidewalk and driveway are well-seasoned before a heavy snow fall. I suppose my neighbour's tenant will help with the shovelling, this year. I suppose I can make an appointment to get snow tires on my car, this year. I suppose I can buy a better coat or winter jacket.

I don't want to move to Florida, so I suppose I will make the best of it. It will add some cardio to my morning routine! I suppose it will help with my new svelte figure!

Ok. Ok. Let it snow. Let it snow? Let it snow!

No comments: