Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-05-19

Happy Something Day

Today was a holiday. For the life of me, I can't remember what we're celebrating. I, for one, celebrated one extra day to do as I please.

I slept in this morning which is something I rarely do anymore, but it was delicious not having to rush anywhere or plan anything.

I spent a lot of the day in contemplation, listening to music while dancing in my living room, making a spicy chicken salad, and finishing a book.

My goddaughter, along with most tween and teen girls, is simply captivated by the Twilight series; so being a reader and a writer, I had to see what all the hype is about.

Reading Twilight and New Moon, I took a stroll down memory lane. I was a tween again, getting my first taste of the confident, brooding, complicated and oh so sexy male. For me, it was Edward Rochester, Fitzwilliam Darcy, and Heathcliff; for the girls in this generation, it's Edward Cullen.

The writing is cliched for sure. There is not one twist that I did not anticipate several chapters earlier, but I could feel the magic that took over my tween heart. It was the hope for that one man who would get me, no matter what; and despite his flaws and the many obstacles between us, fate would inexplicably draw us together again and again.

Romance is a wonderful thing containing such exquisite pain, such tortured expectations, such passionate fulfillment.

It's downright dangerous.

I'm torn. I know how cruel these kinds of fantasies are, and how they can shape a girl's and then a woman's expectations. It is these expectations that I have had to battle in order to negotiate a real-life relationship with a man. Was I successful? Not so much, as man after man has proven to be oh so human and uncharmingly flawed. Or is it us, the women weaned on romance that are flawed?

I don't have the answers, but one thing experience and soul-searching have taught me. It is a glorious to be with someone who loves you for exactly who you are. And that my friends, is a two way street.

No comments: