Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-05-04

Music Makes the World
























(click to enlarge images)


These are my entries for Mother Henna's Artist Collaboration: Hero and Shadow. I decided on an urban setting for both these panels, drawing the light and dark aspects for each respectively.

There seems to not be enough hours in the day for me. This weekend was very busy, and I found myself not knowing which activity to choose. I double-booked myself, and that hardly ever happens.

The theme of this weekend was music. It started on Friday with Jamie's Virtual Dance party which I took to class with me. There is nothing more hilarious than asking a bunch of awkward and self-conscious teens to dance in class. Some of them did with gusto, others stood about, not knowing what to do with the situation. One kid tried to video tape me and I put a nix to that quickly. I do not want to see myself on You Tube. LOL! They all had smiles on their faces after the dance sessions, some no doubt inspired by the thought, "Ms. C has lost it!" haha

I took the dancing to the streets so to speak on Saturday, as I found myself dancing through the grocery store aisles. I couldn't help it! The music was fantastic! I got some smiles and some odd stares, but did I care? No?

I went to a friend's on Saturday night because she was feeling down, and we wound up dancing in her living room. There is nothing like shaking your booty to forget a broken heart.

My heart filled with emotion on Sunday night, when I went to a friend's recital. She played like an angel. Her performance brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps all over. My soul danced.

Happiness is such a nebulous thing. Yet, so easy to attain. A little Kool and the Gang, some James Brown, a tossing of Prince, and a coating of Liszt. Mhm. Music makes the world go round. :)

The incredibly talented Arty Em will be interviewing me tonight at 7 pm Eastern here on blogtalk radio. If you have some time. Swing by. I might be dancing. :)

21 comments:

Tracy said...

I love Prince's music! Great art work, Genie. :)

Kim Mailhot said...

Wonderful to know you are dancing through life these days ! ;)

Happy Monday !

Shades of Scorpio said...

Keep that infectious happy zing flowing! Other people just need the courage boost by being a witness! I'm also a grocery store boogie queen! It's really hard not to since they don't use Muzak anymore!

Sharon said...

Music does indeed make the world go round! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Love your paintings and your post!

Hope your week is wonderful, as well. :)

Tabitha said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE music!! It has been a healer for many years. I will most definitely be listening to your interview tonight!!

originalbliss said...

LOL!!!!! Mattea and I LOOOOOOVE dancing in the grocery store aisles! Last week we sang and danced along to "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder in the produce section.

One time we were singing - Loudly - along to Journey and from all the way across the store some man started singing along with us. It was awesome.

Unfortunately, she has posted me on YouTube--- Oh, well, joke 'em if they can't take a... joke ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkaIhVVkJJM

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Love your Hero´s light!!!

Keep dancing. :)

Kavindra said...

ooh an interview! Can't wait to hear it.

The only regret I have is that you stopped the videotaping! I can certainly see why you did, but I would have loved to have a peek into that classroom with Crazy Miss C!

The Muse said...

Oh I ever so want to listen!

Peace and blessing my spirit filled friend!!!!!

Kavindra said...

I just caught the last 10 minutes of your interview. Very exciting, so neat to hear your voice - I like it, you sound very down to earth speaking. Will catch the whole thing when Arty Em puts it up as a link.

Love what you say about not ignoring the bad, down times.

Congrats sweetie.

Tori said...

I'm glad the dancing went over well. It sounds like you had fun.

I missed the interview. Darn!

gemma said...

Went to hear the interview and missed your connection...will go back and listen again. Hope you are still dancing!

gemma said...

So glad I went back to the interview. "Balance" is my word for the year.Loved your words and your voice!

Holly said...

The music...isn't it the music? I love to hear it and I have to let it move me more. Your weekend sounds as crazed as mine. I was awfully glad you could come to visit today and I was happy to have a few free ones to spend here looking at the art....
Hugs!

linda said...

you must be a fabulous teacher!! this is wonderful and more should be creative with their kids....they might learn more...

great paintings too...glad you are having a happy time ;)

blessings...

Serena said...

I LOVE how music can touch the soul with raw emotion. Rock on, Genie!

I'll check into the interview shortly ~ :)

Pamela said...

First off, I absolutely love your entries for Mother Henna's Artist Collaboration: Hero and Shadow! They're truly fantastic!

Second, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of your classrooms! I'da been dancing, too!

I'm so sorry I missed your interview last night. I'm off to see if I can still catch it or find a link.

Have a terrific day, Genie! Hugs!

Pink Heels said...

There is something about music that makes me move! Different types of music illicit a different and unique movement causing me to let go of inhibitions and shake it!

Nydia said...

First, your art is gorgeous, loved the intensity of both panels!
Secondly, thank you for your sweet words on each of my posts, I treasure them all, though these days I'm so relapse on visitng and commenting as assidually as I wished. So many things happening in your life... Loved to read about your dance fever. I always loved dancing (I've been to classic ballet classes when a child), and it's something that always makes me feel better no matter what. I admire the transparence that you deal with your emotion and well you put it in words. Thanks for sharing these and being a source of inspiration and reflexion.

Kisses!

June said...

I agree Genie, I get such wonderful mood boosts from music and spend a lot of time listening to my ipod. I am not fussy what i listen to as long as it makes me feel good at the time lol.
Thanks for your healing thoughts my friend. please keep them coming, i am going to try and get appointment with a doc this week
Hugs June xxx

rosebud101 said...

Never forget the moment of the dance!