Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2010-01-30

The Battle Begins.

So another battle wages in my world. I didn't go looking for it but it came to my doorstep. That's not to say, that the choices were clear for me, but a choice had to be made. This battle is helping me learn some very valuable lessons.

I can't go into specific details yet, but suffice it to say the Gremlin Principal has launched an attack against me, for the simple reason that I will not be silenced. And rather than take it, the super hero in me is launching a counter attack. The union is becoming involved.

The first lesson I learned is that I will not prostrate myself blindly to tyranny. The second lesson I learned is that I have many allies. It is humbling to find so many people rallying around me, equally outraged and willing to fight the good fight.

For those of you who know me and have been reading my blog for a while, you know the kind of untenable situation we work in at a school plagued by dictatorial and incompetent leadership. Staff from all ranks and students alike have reached the saturation point; and this latest targeting of me has been the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm not being targeted because I am not doing an outstanding job, or because I am not an expert in my field, or because I have not made a lot of positive changes, or because I have not created an environment of collegiality and communication. I'm being targeted because I am outspoken. And that, my friends, is unacceptable in a society that prides itself on equity, freedom of speech, and inclusiveness.

The very way our school is being run has caused bloody revolutions in countries, has caused sit-ins and protests, and United Nations interventions. None of these extreme measures will apply here, but a battle is being waged with the tools of a "civilized" society.

I had a choice. Swallow this bitter pill, say nothing, do nothing, and allow the Principal to continue along her draconian path. Or. Take up the banner, gather my troops, and march headlong into the fight for liberty, justice and pursuit of unfettered education.

It is my duty as an educator, a proponent of critical thinking, mindful living and responsible action, to model this behaviour. If I were to lie down and allow myself to be run over by the freight train that is the administration, I might as well quit my job and sell butt plugs. I would not be worthy to stand before the young and claim to guide them into adulthood. I would be a sham. And that is not who I am.

That is not who I am.

12 comments:

The Muse said...

...i'll pray that wisdom, courage, and insight..will be yours ms Genie...

may all these be yours as you raise your voice.

Tess said...

Never, ever swallow the pill!! You rock ... stand your ground!

rosebud101 said...

Good luck, Genie. Pick your battles and allow your ideas to qri3

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

{Big hugs} Wishing you strength and clear vision.

Serena said...

I'm proud of you for standing your ground, Genie!! I'm sending you lots of vibes full of strength, clarity and wisdom. xo

Shell said...

That's right, Genie. There comes a time when you have to stand and fight for what you believe in. I know you will knock your gremlin principle down.

Rowena said...

I'm sorry that your school is such a mess. I remember those days, and I remember trying to fight and I remember giving up in the end.

I hope you fight the power, and change things... not just for yourself, but for the other teachers, and especially for the kids.... because that's what it's all about, right? Sometimes people running schools seem to forget about that.

Judi said...

You go girl.It may be bad Latin, but "Illegitimis nil carborundum".

gemma said...

Genie Sea my friend...I do hope that all is well with you. It's been a bit since you've posted and with all that school admin political stuff going on in your life. Don't let the F-ing B's get you down. Hold on to the truth!I send love to surround you.

The Muse said...

thinking about you.

Cynthia said...

Genie -- I too have disappeared and upon reappearing am sad to see you are faced with such unfairness.

You have, and always will be a proponent of critical thinking. Always, this is your gift.

Boho mom said...

Be proud of yourself hon, because it takes a brave woman to hold her ground in what sounds like a corrupt system.
The PrinciPAL sounds like a treat and is obviously not used to dealing with a rebel like you!
Kick ass Genie! For yourself, your students and for timid teachers everywhere!