Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2010-01-21

Gluten-Free for Me

I am on week two of my gluten-free existence. You would think it would be a hardship like most dietary restrictions, but it's not. At first, it was difficult trying to find substitutes for the yumminess that comes in gluten products such as whole grain breads which I love, but I have successfully navigated the substitutions and feel no loss.

It's been like a mini mystery, trying to discover all those hidden glutens that reside in foods like ice cream and oyster sauce; but I have been reading labels like they are the hottest best sellers. It doesn't help that I have also eliminated all soy products from my diet as well, and you would be surprised where soy resides. I have had to become more creative in my preparation of marinades using oyster juice, Tabasco sauce and sesame seed oil for my stir-fried meals.

But it's all worth it because less gluten equals smaller glutes. :)

And the results have been dramatic. The dry patches are disappearing from my skin. I don't feel bloated all the time. I don't get acid reflux all the time like I used to. I have more energy. I am sleeping better.

Fruit, vegetables and nuts have substituted other gluten-rich foods. I am eating more meals throughout the day, and make sure I have protein with each meal. I feel full faster, and stay full throughout the day.

Who would have thought that such innocuous substances could do such damage to my system and my well-being? Who could have thought that with some small changes, I could feel worlds better? And I haven't even started my new workout routine!

Fantastic! :)

10 comments:

Tabitha said...

Woot! Woot!
You Go Genie!!

rebecca said...

how did you know gluten was to blame?

Kara aka Mother Henna said...

gluten and sugar are the ones to rid for me, genie -- and it is amazing how easy it can be and what a huge difference it makes. Though I still have times where I go off the rails. But raw cocoa nibs are a great sub for other chocolates -- they are savor, too, so great for some sauces/marinades if you are experimenting anyway. Anyway, wanted to say that you've probably already found her, but in case you hadn't. Gluten Free Girl has wonderful kitchen experiments over at her place:

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

Miracles!
k-

rosebud101 said...

My daughter has also gone gluten free. She feels better for having done that. She's a vegetarian, so it does take some creative food planning to make sure she gets in all the nutrients she needs. Good luck with all your changes! I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better!

Genie Sea said...

Thanks Tabby! :)

Rebecca! Hiya darlin! I ma planning on going to a homeopath and/or a naturopath. The first things they ask you to do is cut gluten, sugar and processed. I am trying that first before I go. :)

Hiya Kara! :) I haven't cut out sugar completely yet. Thanks for the blog referral! I will check it out :)

Hiya Rosebud! I still eat meat but organic only :)

Steve Emery said...

Hooray! Not that you have to cut out gluten, but that you are geting such dramatic results from the change... It's so wonderful to solve problems like these all at once - to finally have the answer and the power to do something about it.

Dia said...

Oh, I'm SO excited for you, Genie!! & what you describe is pretty much my experience - plus weight loss!!
I had put on some 'mid 50s' pounds that I just couldn't loose, even though I am pretty active & eat 'well' - now I'm ~ 15-20# lighter, & have begun getting 'you look great - what did you DO??' comments!
I also avoid (tho not totally) soy, & don't do much dairy.
I love sorghum flour, & GFG's blog is great!! She did graham crackers this week!! gluten free gourmand is good, too - I have several links over at the Vale :)
Congrads - & glad you're noticing a difference already!

Rowena said...

This is so interesting. I don't have a lot of energy, and always wonder if I changed my diet maybe other things would change, too.

I can't figure out what I should start with... and I haven't quite worked up the commitment.

Serena said...

Now, this has really got me thinking....being vegetarian, I practically live on soy products. I was always under the impression that only wheat products contain gluten?? Hmmmmm....will have to do a little more research on this as I'm carrying weight I'd rather not have and now I'm wondering whether the soy products are the culprit.

TheModernGoddess said...

It's great you're feeling so much better for it. Blessings x