Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2010-01-01

The Goal not the Goal Post

Welcome to Twenty Ten!

It's 1:30 am, and I have just returned home from a quiet, relaxing evening with friends, and my godson, 7 month old Tristan.

I loved being out late tonight, because I witnessed a spectacular evening.

The moon is full and beautiful, the first full moon of 2010; and it has been drizzling all night. These two natural phenomena have caused the ground to sparkle like a myriad of diamond slivers, and the sky to glow. It's a magical night, to be sure. It's a night filled with promise. A great omen indeed.

This year, I open, not with resolutions or words; I open with goals. Some, I will keep to myself, not as a mystery but as precious promise to me, undiluted by not letting it go out into the world. Yet.

There are a few goals I do wish to share, however.

The first goal is to finish the text that will accompany my Tarot deck. It's been fermenting in my mind for some time now, writing itself in my head, so to speak; it's time for it to come out. :)

The second goal is to start and complete a new art project. Yes, I will be taking it to paper. It's a series of sketches entitled The Genie in the Sea. They will each be accompanied by a poetic prose. More on that later. :)

My third goal is to blog more.
My blogging has fallen a bit by the wayside, partly because I have been busy, but mostly because, I felt I had nothing really to say. Nothing new anyway. I realize that might be somewhat of a skewed perception on my part, and a bit of performance anxiety. I did feel however, bereft of direction in the blogging world.

It's a new year now, with fresh possibilities. We have universal permission to let go of the past and start anew.

The first thing I would like to eliminate is pressure, external and internal. It's time to unshackle myself from unrealistic and impossible expectations, and bask in the freedom that I have to do as I please. It's a luxury. I am well aware of it. One that I am immensely grateful for, one that I do not wish to squander.

In blogging regularly, I maintain a contact not only with others, but with myself. A self-reflection that I share with others. It will be the sharing that adds a certain ingredient to the telling of the tale. We all know tales are meant to be told, not kept in locked boxes.

Whether it be an observation I have made in the course of the day, that makes my mind churn, or whether it is a report on my progress through my goals, I need to make this daily date with myself to write. To write as if no one is reading. To write because I must. Because writing has always been a part of me. Because the spoken word can be careless, can drift aimlessly in the air and be lost. Because without writing there is silence. And the time for silence has not come yet, for me.

These are my first thoughts of 2010. And they are here. In black and white.

It's going to be a great year. Of this I am sure. Happy New Year! :)

13 comments:

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Happy New Year!
Great moment to start again. :) Wishing you love and laughter.

Jane said...

Happy New Year! I could have written the same words today. I too am starting off with a new year with goals instead of resolutions. I intend to reach my goals in a gentle way, taking each moment as it comes. As for the blogging, I understand. Sometimes I think I have nothing to say but I really do love the connections I make here in blogland and I intend to keep it going in 2010. I'm looking forward to a new year with you :)

The Muse said...

I hear you and I feel you...being away from the quill is a slow death.

So here is my wish that you may find the strength to keep your resolutions...and the joy of spirit to refresh you in days most needed!

Breedale said...

I love reading whatever you blog about. I find myself having so many of the same conversations with myself as you. Good luck with all of your goals. I hope 2010 is a fabulous year for you!

Pen said...

happy new year dear genie.
love your 2010 goals, and excited to see them develop!
xo

Sarah Lulu said...

Happy New Year right back at you. xx

gemma said...

There is value in writing things down.Perhaps more tangible than the spoken word. I look forward to reading what you write this year.
Genie.
xx

rosebud101 said...

Genie, I'm glad you had a wonderful New Year's! I look forward to seeing your upcoming blog posts! Now, it's onward to spring and 2010!

Shell said...

Those are great goals. I'm excited about you creating your own Tarot deck. Looking forward to seeing that...

Miss Robyn said...

I thoroughly enjoy your blogging.. whatever it is you have to say ~ there is always a word or two of wisdom from you xo ~ so I am looking forward to your blogging this year.
have a fantastic and creatively abundant 2010 xo

Genie Sea said...

Hiya Paula! :) Love and laughter are awesome wishes indeed :)

Hiya Jane! :) Taking each moment as it comes is an excellent plan of action. I adore the connections I have made through blogging. They have truly enriched my life and outlook! And I am definitely looking forward to a new year with you too! :)

Hiya Musey! :) Long time no see sweetie! I had lost you, but I am glad to find you again. :)

Hiya Bree! :) I peeked at your blog but haven't commented yet. I will tomorrow! :) Love the new perspective! :)

Hiya Pen! :) Thank you! :) I'm excited to see how the year unfolds for you too! :)

Hiya Sarah Lulu! :) Welcome :)

Hiya Gemma! :) I am looking forward to reading about your adventures as well! :)

Hiya Rosebud! :) Spring is right around the corner, isn't it? YAY! :)

Hiya Shell! :) My Tarot deck is finished. Just hit the flickr link under my blog banner and have a gander. :)

Hiya Robyn! :) Thank you sweetheart! :) I am looking forward to reading your posts as well! :)

Kim Mailhot said...

Happy New Year Genie !
This is a wonderful post to start the year with. What i love best is that in the end you choose to focus on what is right and good about how we interact in this worldwide space...keeping the focus there is what it is all about for me in this New Year !
So grateful that "social networking" has allowed me to connect with a soul as intelligent and rich as your !
Cheers, Baby !

Pamela said...

Happy New Year, my friend!

I love your strong and positive voice in these words. I have also been away from blogging, feeling like I had nothing to say, but like you, I find it rewarding to share thoughts and reflections and come back to the fold. Visiting you has been hugely rewarding and very inspirational.

I also believe this will be a great year and I wish for you all you desire in the days and months ahead!

Many blessings to you, Genie!

Pamela
http://blog.sweetsoliloquies.com