Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2010-01-19

Textology

Text from: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Genie says:

Hello. R U there?

Message Sent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really like and appreciate technology.

I have almost all the Nintendo systems along with games, especially Zelda and Mario. I don't have a Wii... yet. I love playing a quest game that challenges my mind and my reflexes. I feel smarter when I play. Sometimes, I feel a little frustrated, but I know when to walk away. I know when to open a book, or get out my paints, or make a necklace.

I have a cell phone. I like being able to find a friend in a huge department store or at a theater using our cell phones. I like being able to text a friend when one or neither of us is available to talk, to connect; but I know when it's time to hear a voice, when it's time to talk, when it's time to turn the cell phone off, like when I'm driving. I know when it's time to leave the cell phone behind and take a walk or go for a coffee without being reached.

I spent 5 years in the online chatting world. I tried it all, from 2D IRC chat to 3D virtual reality chat. For many years, it absorbed me; it became my real life. I learned a lot about myself and others. It was quite the experience. I love Skype and the ability to talk to someone who is another continent away without the long distance charges. I love online social networking and the ability to connect with people I haven't talked to in years.

I love blogging. I love being able to throw my random thoughts out, and see where they settle. I love reading other people's thoughts, looking at their art, their crafts and pictures of their kids. I love being part of a global community. At the touch of my fingertips.

I love how technology has enhanced my life, but I am also aware of its dangers. It's easy to get caught up in things far away, or convenient at the expense of the immediate and inconvenient.

Today, I watched as student after student navigated the crammed hallways, head down, thumbs working, oblivious to the world around them. I had to tell five different students in my classes today to stop texting and to put their phones away. Three of them were texting during someone's presentation. Two girls got into a fight in school over something that was posted on someone's wall. I had to remind two students that they had 3 more days left before the finals, to stop talking about who they were following on twitter and focus on their essays.

More and more, I feel like I am losing them to technology, losing their focus, their attention span, their desire to learn something as archaic as reading between the lines or building a really good argument, or learning to spell and understand the word "archaic". I feel like I should gather their cell numbers and text them the lesson. Fifty characters at a time. We have class blogs, Facebook pages dedicated to novels, twitter accounts to deliver instructions. That's all very creative on our (read: teachers') part, but we have to be, in order to feed knowledge to our students byte by byte.

This idea scares me a bit. Especially when a colleague states at a meeting, "Why do we need to get books? They can read it online."

I see a future of exclusively plugged-in people, bumping into each other like drones on the street as they are fed "information" or entertainment (read: celebrity gossip), or music with lyrics about women's junk and getting shanked. I see a future with people losing the ability to communicate fully, to sit face to face over a coffee, chatting or just enjoying each other's presence. Students will take courses such as Textology, History of Chat, Social Networking etc...

Am I exaggerating? Is the fear talking? Am I getting outdated and being shortsighted? I don't know, but the idea of it becoming real scares the blinking modem out of me. :)

9 comments:

rosebud101 said...

I don't think it's fear talking. I think your concerns are legitimate. I also feel that technology is a wonderful way to connect. I also feel we need to see and touch those with whom we connect. We need to be aware of that which is around us. When we loose the awareness, we loose so much. Let's hope that texting doesn't go to the point of eliminating real communication with others.

Matthew said...

I hear you. I admit I have a PS3 for the same reason you have your Nintendo. Until people learn to switch the internet off and filter out the information it will be bad. Mama Cass sang: "The good times are coming..." and I lean towards hope for the future in these "interesting" times :)

BLOGitse said...

Very good post!
It's good to be worried because kids are like that.
We all know how we are when blogging. We're in our own world. It's very easy to get hooked. And finally blogging, tweeting, FB etc. takes all your time and you're like an alcoholic. You can't live without 'virtualworld'.
Similar happens to kids. Their world is in their heads. All that is happening in their brains, mind.
What happens when your brains, mind is all the time occupied for texting?
Would be interesting to know what brain research finds after 5 or 10 years time.

As always parents are the role models. If they are hooked and people are not having normal conversation over the dinner table like civilized people what can you expect from their children?

originalbliss said...

I was just conversing about this the other day (YES! A face to face conversation, where our lips moved and tongues wagged!)

There are many wonderful things about technology. The fact that we can be connected to others of like mind and spirit. The fact that we can express, share, and be heard. It can be a tool of empowerment.

But the obsession and distraction of it is frightening.

Oh well... their thumbs will give out eventually... then what will they do?

Miss Robyn said...

it worries me too. alot.
that said, I am also worried about my own reliance on the blogging..

LissaL said...

We have the unlimited texting plan. I would be soooo far in debt if we didn't. I love the that the kids can chat-however there are days when I am like "Yoo hoo! Hello? anybody home?"
It's important to stay connected in both worlds.

Breedale said...

Genie you are so right. We are losing them to technology. I just read an article today that said kids and teens spend 8 hours a day engaged in technology. That means, tv, phone, internet and gaming. That is CRAZY! Truly the phrase go out and play means nothing to them. It is a definite challenge for education.

gemma said...

Hi! At the end of the day it is the human touch that really moves us.
No sweet kisses or warm hugs from
the machine. BUT as I say that I do send you very sincere sweet((xx))
MUAH

Serena said...

Scary, isn't it?!