Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2010-01-03

Date with Myself



Yesterday, I decided to take myself out on a date. Fresh from a whirlwind of holiday festivities, I wanted some downtime with myself.

So I dolled myself up, and took myself to the movies!

I found the best parking spot, closest to the theater which was amazing as it was like a thousand degrees below zero. I got a ticket to the movie which was lucky as I went to see Avatar which has been selling out consistently since it was released.

The lineup for pop corn was small and speedy, and I found my absolute favorite drink - Glaceau Vitamin Water - XXX flavor which is oxygenated water with acai, blueberry and pomegranite juices. It's like liquid, healthy candy!

In the theater, I got the perfect seat, and despite the fact that the theater was packed, somehow the seats on either side of me remained unoccupied. Lady luck went out on the date with me last night!

And the movie?

Absolutely, breathtakingly magical 3D. It was clever, visually stunning, emotionally compelling and absolutely captivating. The final fight scene was a bit drawn out, but I have little patience for fight scenes... There I was, watching a brilliant movie, munching on buttery popcorn (they use real butter!) and downing my liquid heaven. I didn't even notice that almost 3 hours passed.

After the movie, I popped over to the Imperial Buffet and got myself some take-out Chinese food, focusing on the healthier choices, and went back home. I don't like eating out alone.

I got back to my warm cozy home, doled out the food on a plate, poured myself some wine, lit the candles, and popped in a CD. Very romantic dinner for one.

And do you know that the whole time, I did not experience even one moment of loneliness? Do I want to have a similar experience with a special man? Of course, I do! But, I spent the evening with someone special - me. And what a wonderful night it was! :)

17 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

It sounds as though you had a wonderful date. I love doing that as well. I am looking forward to seeing this movie. Happy New year!!

Matthew said...

What a fantastic tale :) Very empowering and liberating :) I am also looking forward to this movie. Enjoy your journey :)

clairedulalune said...

Good for you! It sounds like you had a great date! I am glad you said the movie was good, I must go see!

Sherry Smyth said...

I do this from time to time and love it -- it's usually for a film that I don't know if anyone else will want to see, and sometimes it's because I just want to enjoy my own company and not be worrying/concerned about whether my companion is enjoying it too. If I don't like the film, no harm in that either. I haven't done it for awhile so you've inspired me.

My youngest son saw Avatar and raved about it -- said it was the best film he's seen in a long time.

rebecca said...

You know I've been wanting to see this movie, Genie, but the three hour thing scares me! Will I stay engaged without fiddling and moving around for three hours? Gosh, I don't know.

On another note, good for you!!! We are our best dates anyway...we know exactly what we want, what to say, etc.... :)

Breedale said...

Good for you! I am so glad you did this. As soon as you are comfortable with your own company you find someone with whom to share it. You are on the path but until then, may you enjoy many more dates with an awesome person!

Boho mom said...

It WAS a thousand degrees below zero last night!!
I LOVE this post Genie!!! Hooray for you for giving us single girls a voice!
My friends are constantly pestering me about being "alone" and I try to explain there's a difference between being by myself, and being WITH myself.
I absolutely LOVE to treat myself to things like movies and take out food when my daughter is at a sleepover!!!

As for Mr. Right? "When I build it, he will come". lol

rosebud101 said...

Glad you enjoyed Avatar! Glad you enjoyed your date! I think you were in good company!

Judi said...

Sounds like a great date. Ever since I quit driving (poor eyesight - made myself nervous!) I don't get to go anywhere alone - public transportation is a joke around here. BUT .... I remember some great dates with myself .... one date that is actually relaxing because I always impress me!!! lol

Caroline said...

You must have seen Avatar! Wasn't that just amazing. I wish I had a soul tree to connect to like that. And XXX vitamin water is my favorite!

Suzie Ridler said...

Good for you! Perfect way to begin the year and I envy you, we have tried unsuccessfully to go see it, it's always sold out!

Lisa said...

Wonderful! This sounds like a perfect evening.

While I didn't get the luxury of alone-time (something I dearly miss these days), I did get to see Avatar recently...and even blogged about it! I don't know about you, but I was blown away not only by the technology & 3D effects, but by the messages as well (I agree with Caroline - I want to be in touch with the soul tree!).

Here's to more lovely evenings like that!!

gemma said...

Good for you!Treat yourself like the precious one you are.I have been with my wildman for many years, but still take myself out regularly. Don't even miss him a bit.lol

Shell said...

You had a fabulous date with yourself. I love it, Genie.

Jane said...

I love it, Genie! Sounds like a perfect date.

Pamela said...

You rock, Genie!

Summer Raven said...

Beautiful...I like to spend time by myself too it's a very powerful practice. The movie I saw too, It is very good!