Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-03-04

Help



Our wonderful and every abundant tender of wishes, Jamie asks us today:
What help do you wish to receive?

What came instantaneously to mind is:
"I wish for help in my renovations!"

I am prepping to change around my rooms and some minor renovations are in order. Some moving around of furniture, replacement of doors and light fixtures. I am also getting ready to renovate my garden and make it less onerous to maintain which means streamlining, getting rid of some plants and moving some of them around.

I know I can't do this alone.

In the past, I just hired someone to do these things. It's more money but I won't be placing a burden on anyone to help me. I won't have to ask for help, and frankly put myself in a position to be let down. I have gotten let down a lot.

I think I have mentioned this before, but I used to be someone who did not ask for help. If something needed to get done, I got it done on my own, or hired someone. This didn't come from a sense of pride, but a fear of rejection or disappointment.

I didn't become so fiercely independent overnight. Life made me this way. After many experiences where disappointment in people would slap me upside the head, I learned to just get it done myself.

Permit me to illustrate:

When I got a divorce and moved into my new home, I had very little furniture, so I had to buy a living room set and a new desk. Buying furniture seems like an easy thing, but the delivery people just dumped the sofas on their sides in the middle of the living room, and the desk in box, and left. The desk needed assembling. The sofa legs were supported by nailed planks to protect them. I had two hands, and limited tools.

I called a "friend" to ask her for help. She hemmed and hawed, and finally I promised her sushi if she could come over and help me. She finally did. She brought the hammer I asked her for, and stood watching me pry the planks off the legs. She stepped out of the way when I placed the sofa, love seat and arm chair in their places. She promptly fell asleep on said sofa while I was putting a five foot desk together by myself.

She ate the sushi though, and took leftovers home.

Nice.

I think you know why I started hiring professionals - movers, contractors, painters, gardeners, handy-peeps.

Since I took on a position of responsibility at my job, however, I have had to step out of that pattern. There are just way too many things to get done, so I have started asking for some help. And people have not let me down. They have rallied and helped me. And all I did was ask.

That took me by pleasant surprise.

There is a huge difference between the job situation, though, and my personal life. Will I have the courage to ask for help? Several of my friends have homes of their own, projects of their own. They are starting families, and businesses, and new relationships. I am plagued by thoughts that this will be an imposition on them, and a disappointment for me.

I am mulling this in my head : When the weather gets better, I want to have a garden reno party. Participants will be treated to drinks and a barbecue; and they can take whatever plants or clippings of plants they want for their gardens.

As you can see I need help. I wish for help. Will I find the voice to seek it?

27 comments:

Judi said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I also wish for her . . .HELP! When she needs somebody.

I hope that sushi lady is no longer on your friend list, because she doesn't belong there.

A Helping Hands party for the garden - actually sounds like fun.

Genie Sea said...

Nope Judi. Sushi lady is history. I had to bite the bullet last year and cut her off. I took too long in doing it too. Then I realized I was dishonoring my true friendships but keeping travesties in my life. Quality over quantity! :)

Jamie said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish also.

May you be surrounded by loving and supportive friends. May all the support you so generously share with others come back to you threefold.

Bye-bye sushi ladies and all of their ilk!

Kim Mailhot said...

As Genie wishes for herself, I also wish for her. Asking for help and trusting people to be there is hard for me too. And yet, lately when I have done it, I have been overwhelmed by the responses that I hadn't seen coming at all ! I think putting the trust in place before you ask is the key - offering it up to the universe "I need help. I trust that I will receive the help I need." may be the key.
I would come to your party ! Especially if you could come and help me paint my porch a few weeks later ! Too bad we are so far apart !
Use that voice, Genie ! The universe wants you to get what you need !
Love Kim

Beverly said...

Dearest Genie, Because you are so special to me and it is an honor to visit you, I have something for you at

http://flying-cupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/looky-looky.html

Enjoy!

differenceayearmakes said...

As genie wishes for herself, I wish for her also,

may she receive the help that she needs

rebecca said...

Whatever your heart desires, dear heart. I know there are people out there that are more than willing to help, in every sense of the word, because that former friend -- with friends like that, who needs enemies, right? Glad you ditched her.

Garden party sounds like fun.

((hugs))

thezeninyou said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish also.

I hope you find kind and wonderful folks to help get all the things done.

Tabitha said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I also wish for her.

I pray that kind people will surround you and help you do what's needed.

dlh said...

A garden reno party sounds good especially if you promise to show up when any of the others have one. I say that but I wouldn't even have anyone to ask. Bribing my kids would be one way I would get it done, but the best would be to start in and my husband jumps in to show me how I'm doing it wrong and finishes up. But he has started getting wise to that method.

Boho mom said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish also.
Ohhh, if I lived closer, I'd soooo come and help you with your yard. And we'd sip iced tea and I wouldn't fall asleep in a flower bed- sheesh!

I think your garden reno party sounds like a fabulous idea! And with you being so generous, how could anyone say no?
It's hard, I know. I have become so independent and now everyone expects I can do it all alone.
I've tried to organize painting parties, etc. to help me out with the bigger jobs, but it just ends up a "party", and I do all the work!

May the universe send you heaps of friendly reliable support!

*Just a thought - you should host a Blogopalooza! There are many of us in or near the Toronto area! Given enough notice, I'm sure we could all pull together and help work on your yard, get to know eachother and have a downright BLAST!!!

Tori said...

As genie wishes for herself, I wish for her also!

I hope you get all the help you need and more!

linda said...

darling, you are not alone in this boat...there is at least one other occupant and that would be me...

I see your predicament and think the garden reno party is a wonderfully creative idea and also sounds like a lot of work if people don't do THEIR part...it comes down to trust and whether you are willing to be disappointed and I think, given the enormity of the tasks involved, one must be practical and at least ask and invite! so that is what I think you should maybe do? "maybe"...hmmmm sorry, I hate the idea of you being disappointed and I don't trust people even in canada...and they never did anything to me excepting a few times!!!

much love to you, dear one. I don't think I was much help but I wish all things for you.
xoxox

Sarah said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish also.

So do the party - sounds like fun. I have a large family, business of my own etc etc - the idea of helping someone else with a project sounds so much more appealing than my own!!!

Tally said...

I wish you many helping hands - inside and outside. I do wish I could come to your party - for the joy, for the helping and for the clipplings :-)

Serena said...

as genie wishes for herself so i wish for her also ~

i've always been afraid to ask for help too for the very same reasons as you....fear of rejection can be quite debilitating at times. however, if someone else needs help, i will be the first in line. i particularly love home reno/decorating stuff. i sure wish we lived closer so i could be one of your helpers. i think your reno party is a fab idea and i wish you every success with it.

love, light and peace,
serena

Jenn said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Asking for help can be a totally daunting task so I understand where you are coming from. I'm much the same way, though I'm working on getting better.

I also wish I lived closer as I don't mind doing the tasks for home reno stuff. It's all the decisions that come before that, so you know which tasks you have to do, that I don't like much.

The garden reno party sounds like a lovely idea. I hope you have a blast and can't wait to hear the details!

Eileen W. said...

I wish a wonderful garden reno party with many willing and happy guests for you!! With such a lovely idea, I wish I lived nearby! :)

Fatma said...

Ask, ask! What Genie wishes for her home, I wish for her also.

Your party sounds delish!

Her Speak said...

As Genie wishes for herself and her home, so I wish also!~*

May help be winging to you and may you be the Queen of a fabulous-for-you Castle. :)

Much Joy!~*
Molly

Anna said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I wish also.

If I were your neighbor I would be over in a flash...and not fall asleep on your couch...or flower bed.

May you find helpful helpers!

~Anna

Pamela said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

May you receive all the help you need and more! Your garden party sounds wonderful! :) What an excellent idea

Kris said...

As Genie wishes, as so do I wish that there will always be a net of support for her, offered and nurtured in the same spirit that she gives to this world: love and joy.

Hi There, Genie :) It has been nice to read and celebrate you again.

Take good care & accept good help!
InJoy,
Kristen

Genie Sea said...

Jamie - Bye-bye sushi ladies indeed! :)

Kim - I would totally come help with your porch! :) It seems a lot of us in the blogosphere have the same relationship with asking for help!

Beverly - Thank you so much! :) You are special to me too :)

Rebecca - Hugs! I'm glad I ditched her too. And you know what? I don't miss her! lol :)

Caroline - Thank you :)

Tabby - Thank you :)

Rebecca-Rebecca - Thank you :)

DLH - Welcome to my blog :) May you find others to ask for help :)

BohoMama - Blogopalooza! What a great idea! IT would certainly be fun! How does the summer sound? :)


Tori - Thank you :)

Linda - Well, the only thing I can do is ask. If it doesn't happen, then I can always hire someone to help me. I think I need to take the risk :) You are always of help! Hugs!

Sarah - I hear you. Sometimes helping with someone else's projects is definitely more appealing! :)

Tally - Thank you :)

Serena - I am very much like you. I will be the first to help, and then I choke when it's time for me to ask for help. :)

Jenn - Wish we all lived closer! I think we could manage to move a mountain! :)

Eileen - Thank you :)

Fatma - Thank you :)

Molly - Thank you :)

Anna - I really wish you wee all my neighbors! What a lovely neighborhood that would be! :)

Pamela - Thank you :)

Kristen! Welcome back chicka! I missed you! :) Thank you :)

Peaceole said...

As Geni wishes for herself, so I wish for her also!

Thank you for the very kind words!!

indigo goddess said...

As Genie wishes for herself so I wish also.
I wished I lived closer! I love doing stuff like that!
Your garden party idea is AWESOME!
Thinking of you! xoxoxo

jennlui said...

as genie wishes for herself, i also wish for her!!!

sending love and help vibes your way!!!
peace
xox