Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-03-15

Ancestors

(click to enlarge)

Above is a piece that I made in honor of my grandfather and grandmother. I created a sepia background to match the photo's tones, and then I drew an Egyptian landscape from a postcard I got once. The poem, which is on the back of this photo, was written by my grandmother for my grandfather. I attempted to keep the rhyme and rhythm of the original, so it would not be lost in translation. The date on the photo is August 9th, 1921. My father was almost 2 years old.

My grandparents were expatriates of Greek descent living in Egypt. My family on both sides was born and raised in Egypt for three generations. I was the first to be born in Greece. They lived in relative prosperity in Alexandria, Cairo and Port Saïd. The roaring twenties saw much commerce and culture in Egypt that was still mostly under British influence, but had much international traffic. Many Greeks flocked there as Greece was still recovering from centuries of economic and political oppression.

I only know bits and pieces about my ancestors, but I cherish those stories as they connect me to who I am, and where I came from.

I introduce you to my paternal grandparents, and this is their story.

My grandfather was born Timoleon Theophilos in Alexandria in 1879. His surname has the traditional "opoulos" ending but the root of his name is not Greek. It's Spanish. His grandfather, a Spanish nobleman and free-spirit, came to Greece, a Don Quixote of sorts, enthralled by the country's history, and empassioned by it's plight. There he fell in love with a Greek girl and settled for a time in Athens.

This was not the Athens of today, nor the Athens people study in Ancient History. This was an Athens in cultural and physical shambles after 400 years of Ottoman rule, an Athens about to enter a bloody war against its oppressors. My great great grandfather, whose first name I do not know, took his young family, and pursued his connections to Alexandria where they settled and prospered. That is where my great grandfather was born. Third child, and first son.

He fell in love with a girl whose father was also Greek and whose mother was Egyptian. And so the story continues to the birth of my grandfather. Their only son.

He went to the University in Cairo studying Civil Engineering. I have pictures of his graduating class. He married young and had a son named after him. That marriage did not last.

That is when he met my grandmother - Androniki, Penelope. Beautiful, talented, well-educated and only daughter of a well-off Greek family in Alexandria. That is all I know about her past. Except that she was an exceptional woman. A woman who at the turn of the century defied the prescibed mores and married a divorced man, almost twice her age, with a child.

They had only one son - my father Michael, Alkis.

My grandfather died young, and my grandmother Niki, was left to raise my father, on her own. They were left some money, but she needed to supplement it, and she did so by making porcelain dolls. Hand-crafted, hand-painted, with clothes hand-sown and laced. They were all a rage in 30's Egypt which was mostly untouched by the economic depression that plagued many countries.

My grandmother was a poet too. She had published two books. She was a prolific and fiercely independent woman, yet all I have of her is this picture. This poem. So full of her passionate spirit, and loving soul.

I think of them today. Their tale of romance. Their life in a time and country so different from my own, it reads like a fairy tale. Yet they reside in me. And I am very happy, that they are my family.

17 comments:

Beverly said...

What beautiful art and a wonderful story! I wish I knew more about my grandparents, little has ever been said of any of them. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post!

Kara aka Mother Henna said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! Oh, Genie Sea, what wonderous stories to have in your cells! The art you created here is beautiful, the tale you shared is enthralling. Have you gone to the cities where your family lived? Do you have copies of the books of your grandmother's poetry? Is there any knowledge of who the publisher was and such? Wow wow... just wow :) SOOOOOOOO cool!
miracles,
k-

Rowena said...

Wow, that's pretty cool. I know my family has some good stories too, but I don't know many of them. I know nothing past grandparents.

Tori said...

This story is so beautiful. It makes me want to know more about my own family. I've heard some stories, but I really know nothing. Reading this was like reading a fairy tale. You come from an amazing family!

That photo and poem came together wonderfully in your art. What a great way to honor them.

Tabitha And Family said...

You did such wonderful justice to your Grandparents love and life. In 02 I took a journey of researching my family history. It took me three years and I'm joyful that I did it.

Your artwork is superb!

Tammie Lee said...

Your art in honor of your ancestors is wondeerfullllll! Thank you for sharing your/their tale with us. I can feel how they are part of you~

Anna said...

How very interesting, Genie. Thank you for sharing your roots with us. No wonder you are such an extraordinary person- it is in your heritage.

Merry writings.

thezeninyou said...

Wonderful story! They are part of you...draw in their wisdom...

Kat said...

What a fascinating heritage. The poem is so touching. Thank you for sharing it.

Serena said...

What a beautiful story of your ancestors, Genie! I love your painted collage to honour them too. Very touching.

Only a couple of days ago, I was asking Mum about our ancestors as I've felt the urge to know more about my roots. I know my cousin traced a family tree on my Dad's side so I may get in touch with her to find out how far back she was able to trace.

love, light and peace,
serena

peppylady (Dora) said...

Love stories like this and hope you will share more.
I think it important for all to share there history we all have wonderful things to share.

Coffee is on.

June said...

Hi Genie, wow that is a beautiful picture and the poem is also so special. I think that the photo and the poem are probably the most wonderful things from your family history to still have in your possession as they say it all ..Niki was beautiful and so very talented and they were so much in love. This is a fairytale and a real one. You share much of the beauty and talent of Niki too so you have that also living on in you my friend.
Sending big hugs today
from June xxx

Breedale said...

Genie, that is a beautiful story! I wanted it to go on. I love how you presented it too. Clearly, you have gained a lot of your grandmother's creative spirit. You should develop this into a full blown story even if you don't know all of the pieces, it would make an excellent read. Thank you for being a big part of my tribe. I loved your comment on my page. Thank you for being there and thank you for sharing your history with us.

frustrated artist said...

Genie...what a beautiful story! I, too, am of Greek ancestry. Unfortunately, some of our stories have been lost or not passed on. The stories I do know are of pain of oppression and war. Whether happy and romantic as yours, or more somber as mine, these stories are what define who were are.

Your grandmother would be very proud of you! You have obviously inherited her creativity and writing ability.

*hugs*
Lillian

Miss Robyn said...

I love to read ancestral stories.. this is brilliant! the porcelain dolls sound fantastic.. your grandmother was very creative in her time!

we carry the cells of our ancestors wisdom in our own cells.. stretching far back.. I feel mine around me as I grow older and I love it.. they lead me.

(thanks so much for the continued support for Paul, I know I have been laksa-daisy in visiting lately.. forgive me but as you know my mind has been elsewhere xoxo) - bless you for being you xo

Marina said...

what a wonderful story!! I know you are so very proud to be her granddaughter.... She seems to have been a strong a passionate woman [like many mediterranean women...cough...cough...I was born there too :-)].
And her name! Niki is pretty, but Penelope...I love it [wasn't Penelope Ulysses' wife?].

Great photo and poem, too.

Genie Sea said...

Thank you so much for your very kind and encouraging comments. They and you are very much appreciated :)

Beverly - I wish I knew more about them! I will be blogging about my maternal grandparents too as soon as I can scan some of the pictures. My scanner went kerplunk! :)

Kara - I was in Egypt last when I was 4. I don't remember much except sand in my mouth. LOL! I want to go there though, as soon as possible. I have been to Greece. I unfortunately do not have any of my grandmother's books or dolls. My father did not see fit to bring them when they left Egypt :(

Rowena - Might be good to get some stories from your grandparents. :)

Tori - Ask your family Tori. There is nothing more fun than sitting around listening to family stories. :)

Tabby - Isn't it wonderful getting to know about your roots? It gives you a sense of belonging like no other :)

Tammie Lee - I would love to write more about them. I find their stories fascinating :)

Anna - It's my pleasure to share. I find my ancestors inspiring, and I am happy they can inspire others as well. :)

Caroline - I am drawing in their wisdom. That's exactly what I'm doing :)

Kat - It's my pleasure! :)

Serena - I look forward to hearing (reading) what you find about your ancestors! It's engrossing. :)

Peppy - I will be sharing more :)

June - I truly cherish this photo. It brings tears to my eyes every time I look at it :)

Bree - I think I may very well develop this into a full blown story. A novel perhaps?

Lillian - These stories do define who we are; and I would love to read your stories as well :)

Robyn - Don't you even worry about commenting right now :) You do your thing for yourself and your family. The rest is gravy :)

Marina - LOL! Yes, we Mediterranean types are fiery, aren't we? :) Penelope was Ulysses wife. Very apropos I think :)