Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-06-26

Write Wrecking

Yes. It's week 4 of Jamie Ridler's Blogging Book Club for Wreck This Journal! Mine is looking more battered, as you can see.

This week I focused on writing. Mine. Others'. Random shizz.

One thing that this journey is helping me to unearth, is my camera. I'm starting to use it more. My photos are by no means artistic, but I am beginning to document my life in photos not just in wrecking the journal.

In this week's video, Jamie touches upon the whole comparison issue. Getting hung up on what others are doing in comparison to what we are doing can be a huge stumbling block. I can honestly say that though I am in awe of people's amazing feats of wrecking andtheir wonderful videos, I am plugging away at mine at my own pace and in my own way. There is no right way.

This week, I mostly took the write way. :)


I got my students to draw, or write on the public page.

And it carried onto the lint page... I didn't care! SO be it :)
Their messages are too heartwarming to cover in lint. Well, maybe some strategic lint... ;)


I documented the tearing up and tossing of the page which opened up to the four letter word page. I wrote "glow" "body" "love". Don't judge! :)


This is my half- completed office materials page...


With a little hidden message :)


I wrote my internal monologue while I treated myself to a mani-pedi. :)

And of course, since it was the last week of school that was filled with meetings and "professional development" it provided me with plenty of opportunities to document a boring event. Hahaha!

The bottom line? I'm having fun with it. And that's what it's all about.
Right?
:)

30 comments:

Cynthia said...

Phototabulous!

Kavindra said...

"Thank you for not making us write essays" Hilarious! Teens, they can be so sentimental and weepy, can't they? lol.

Fun indeed.

Tabitha said...

I'm so happy you are enjoying your wrecking journal. :)

Have a fab weekend!

WrightStuff said...

Yay! It looks like you're having great fun and great to get your students involved. Bet they loved it!

Janet said...

fun is what it's all about. it's also fantastic that you've been inspired to get out your camera. wreck on!

Connie said...

i like it! i like it!!

Peace & Love.

Judi said...

Your kids know what a treasure you are - fantabulous -

Jean said...

I am learning about my camera through this process, so hopefully, I will be more likely to document my own life, as well.

I love your office supplies page, too. Mine is a work in progress. :)

Happy Wrecking! It looks like you are having a good time, too!

Leah said...

fabulous, fabulous wrecking! it's so interesting to see how this project stretches us, isn't it?

i love your little hidden message. :-)

Hybrid J said...

Stunning and absolutely gorgeous! :)

Tori said...

I love that you're having fun with
this! It looks wicked awesome. <3

magpie said...

Lovely. Wreck on!

++++PLUS+++ when i scrolled down the music was Marley
"The Sun is Shining"
and IT IS!!!!!

And as anyone 'round here knows it is the first time in forever!

Thanks for the tune

Melinda said...

doing a great job on your journal thus far!!

gemma said...

Karen explains her magnificent grasp of the obvious!
FUN mtg.
:-)

judi said...

I agree, we can get caught up with comparisons, but as a painter I have always experimented with techniques i see.. it keeps my mind open. lovely four letter words.. very personal..i felt like i have to "expose " my literacy I guess.. hmmm, back to thinking!!

Kim said...

How exciting that you are playing with your camera more now!! Great that you got your students involved!! You've inspired me to write in my journal more - I've been focused on the visual. I like your little hidden message - FUN!

Rose said...

I love your journal - it is such an emotional book. To me this is what your journal represents... Just lovely! XXX

rebecca said...

I may have to give this a try. It appears to be both cathartic and creativity-inspiring! Miss coming here, Miss G, catching up with my bloggie friends now....

elinjanne said...

I so agree. Having fun is what it is all about.
Enjoy the upcoming week.
-elin-

elinjanne said...

I so agree. Having fun is what it is all about.
Enjoy the upcoming week.
-elin-

mel said...

Thank you for this lovely (photographic-cool) glimpse at your journal...it really is very lovely in its wreckage...

...*sigh*...I think I'm finally 'getting' this...:)

Rowena said...

wonderful. I try not to compare myself either. Right now, I'm exploring things that I like... even if I see more colorful or more daring wreckage in other people's books.

I'm drawn to what I'm drawn to. Lately, that's a lot of repetition, monotones. Someone else's WTJ will be full of bright colors and exuberance... mine will be...
whatever it is.

and it will be mine.

Serena said...

I LOVE your journal pages, Genie....especially the notes from your students!! You are obviously a wonderful teacher ~ :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more wrecking!

Annette Q said...

These are great pages... This is what I need to do more of: writing. I'm not that confident at writing, but just seeing these pages inspires me to do more of it:-)

Beverley Baird said...

Great wrecking!
I'm looking forward to more time to wreck and create now that school is out. I wish I had dared to bring the h=journalout for our PD day! Great idea!
Take care and happy wrecking!

Steve Emery said...

Wow - I popped in on a rare moment to be in blog land and found this post. This idea is intriguing - I need to look into it more. I think this could be real artist block dynamite if I get stuck again at some point.

Pink Heels said...

You are very brave for allowing your students to write in your journal. I teach Anatomy & Physiology, Pharmacology, and Business Strategic Analysis...all classes that students struggle in. I fear that they might write on the journal, "I hate this class," "Why do I have to take these classes?" "Help!" LOL

Kristin - The Goat said...

Isn't it great that you got your students involved :) I really like your hidden message!!!

Sherri said...

It's amazing what side effects this journal has. It's great that you are now documenting your life with your camera more. Looks like you did some nice writing and wrecking this week.

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

So, tell us how you REAALLY feel about p.d. why dontcha. ;)

WRECK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!