Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-11-16

Darkness Be Gone!

There have been times in my life when I have felt the darkness sweep down on me like a vulture ready for the last vestiges of life to leave my heart. I have felt the curtain of despair slowly fall on me, enveloping my mind and heart, turning everything bleak. I have walked with shadows as they pointed out the wasteland around me, gleefully relishing my sadness.

Yet, in those times, when my whole being was threatened with a subterranean existence, I did not realize that a warrior lived inside of me. A woman more powerful than all the cartooned images I idolized as a child. A woman strong enough to will the darkness back, laugh despair into oblivion, tear down the curtains to let in the light, shoot an arrow straight into the heart of that vulture. To make the wasteland dissolve into a world filled with light, life and possibility.

It started as an echo of a voice. A dream of one day being saved by some nebulous other. A longing for release and acceptance. A wish for the shining armored figure to come galloping to my rescue. While outside, a battle waged for my being.

There were enemies everywhere, lurking in mirrors to mock me, in false friendships and love affairs to destroy me, in broken promises, in well-meaning put-downs. And I ingested all of them, accepting my defeat, swallowing the criticism, giving into the apathy.

But she would not let me. Not my warrior.

Her voice became stronger, more outraged, more emphatic. She refused to give in, acquiesce, lay down her arms. She fought on for me, despite of me.

And I survived.

Every heartbreak.
Every broken dream.
Every forsaken promise.
Every maiming experience.

And I am here today, to say, I am victorious. Every time that vulture appears on the horizon, I take aim at it until it falls in a heap to the ground. Every time that curtain threatens to smother my breath, I rip it away and let the fresh air in.

I choose the light.

I am the warrior.

And it feels good!


10 comments:

Pen said...

dearest genie,
you are a warrior indeed,
and you lead by example.
thank you for lifting a light up so others can see.
xo

Tabitha said...

You are absolutely a warrior and I'm very proud of you!

Caroline said...

Funny...we never seem to give ourselves enough credit for all the darkness we go through. You are a warrior and an inspiration! You go girl!

differenceayearmakes said...

How wonderful that you have discovered that warrior that lives within.

She'll protect and set you free.

linda said...

this is so inspiring and I dearly loved reading them as your words, coming from your heart ...

may everyday be filled with this knowledge that you are indeed your own best warrior, better than any other ...it is within that lie our needs, the ones hidden from the world, that need to be vanquished, the most quickly ... be free of them all is my wish for you.
xoxo

Judi said...

It's always a good thing to know the warrior within and to set her free. But - I am confused - I have seen the Warrior Genie Sea many times - she used to only fight for the students - but then I saw her realize that the warrior must protect and cherish herself in order to protect and cherish others.

HooAhh!

Her Speak said...

Blessed Be!
Genie, you're like a beautiful bold cup of coffee--when I visit I feel supercharged and awake! I've missed visiting you and your words-- as the semester winds down I've been carving out bits of time here and there to make sure I visit everyone's blog universe. And by the way, LOVE the super-hero-chic look you've picked for your blog home. Gutsy!

Much Joy, Many many Blissings~*
Molly

rosebud101 said...

Genie,
You are an amazing woman!

gemma said...

Hail Warrior Goddess Genie Sea !!!
I salute you.
:-)

Serena said...

WOW....I recognise my own experiences within your inspirational words too, Genie. Amazingly, the warrior within sees us through the trying times and, later, we look back and wonder how we survived at all. A wonderfully empowering post, Genie! You truly have a magical way with words. xo