Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2009-09-24

Destination: Haiku

Danette Relic over at The Drawing Board has started a fantastic new creative catalyst called
Every Thursday, Danette will be giving us creative prompts to work with.

This week, Danette has given us the following writing prompts:

What do the following people or things need to know about you?

your dentist
your bed
your custom shoe maker
your garden
your new neighbour
your pet
your therapist or coach
the person next to you on a bus or plane
your bartender

I am going with a series of haikus:

A Hollywood smile
Without Hollywood money
Or Hollywood clout.

Your soft warm embrace
Egyptian cotton kisses
My portal to dreams.

Arches high, feet wide
Most shoes are not made for me.
Men's boots I purchased.

Once a thick jungle
You have opened up again
To welcome me in.

Pregnant with money
Meet childless with not much cash
Worlds can coexist.

Your furry Highness
My soul companion for years
To you I'm grateful.

Though I might struggle
I am not taken by fear
To see things anew.

We share this travel
We might share the same space
Do not sleep on me.

Keep the drinks coming
Tonight I am not driving
I want to forget.

This was fun and challenging!
Taking everything I have to say about each subject and condensing it to 17 syllables, is not easy task but a rewarding one nonetheless! :)

10 comments:

Danette said...

Wow Genie, the haiku challenge! What fabulous morsels. Even when limited by syllables, your imagination is limitless.

Love the blog makeover too!

Tabitha said...

You did this wonderfully! You are indeed creative and a sweetheart to boot! (:

The Girlie-Queue said...

OMGosh but you handled this so beautifully... :) Cheers Love,
~Shamsi

Caroline said...

wow...those are cool!

Pamela Sweet said...

You consistently blow me away with your creativity, Genie!

Have you considered collecting your poems in book form? I think you should.

Kim Mailhot said...

Wow ! These are awesome, Genie ! You are a Mistress of the Haiku !

learningbarefoot said...

If I could haiku like you haiku... alas, that's just not what I do!

Prose and, sometimes, rhyme,
that's how I spend my time.

Cheesy couplets came out of me
After coming here via Mr Linky.

Many thanks to our muse, Danette
Who writes a blog you won't forget.

Aren't these springboards fun?
Okay... finally, now I am done!

Kavindra said...

I love it! My favorite is traveling companion. I might get a t-shirt that reads "do not sleep om me" for my next trip! So clever ;)

rosebud101 said...

Genie, I love the haiku! Great post!

Pen said...

love it!
go you :)