Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2008-06-24

Weed and Semen Trees

Good title, no? Thanks to Danette for coming up with it!

I had quite the whirlwind of a day, from meetings, to clean-up, to pie and tears, to song and bryani, to artistic dialogue to tribal rhythms.

My day started normally. I got up, did my thing, went to work. I skipped the meeting, and prepared for another meeting tomorrow. Then I did what I always do when I have time on my hands, I cleaned up. The office I work in looks like a tsunami hit it. Literally. Debris, and clutter of no use to anyone. As far as things are concerned, I am a minimalist. If you haven't used it for a long time, chuck it. So, I initiated a long chuck-out session. I started small with the computer area. You know what they say - today, a small corner, tomorrow, the world!

Then I went to our office end-of-the-year party, where we all gathered in great spirits and healthy appetites. The bryani that Jennifer made is epic, so much so, that I feel pity for anyone who has not tasted it. The President's Choice Key Lime pie was equally heavenly. Light, refreshing and neither too sweet nor too tart. The conversation was pleasant, as it always is when the year is behind us. People were so relaxed and happy to get on with their summer plans. Some will be travelling long distances, others, like me, will be expanding their horizons in other ways. In either case, it is the time for us to find ourselves out of the role of educator. Many think this break is decadent, but only those in the profession know how necessary it is for us to maintain our sanity, and our perspective.

Since the head of our department and a dear friend is leaving to go to another school, we had something special planned for her. I adapted the Nun's Song from the Sound of Music, and we sang it to her. I tried not to make eye contact with Maria because I would have started to weep; and that will not do because my singing is bad enough! She loved it, and it felt good to give that to her.

Then, off I whirled to pick up my friend and go to a writers' meeting that is focusing right now on Harlequin genre. It was my first meeting where I got to know a select group of people who are smart, funny, and open to something new. It is the first step towards the next step in my evolution. I get glimpses of what is to come but I am open to the possibilities.

On our way there, Danette told me about a type of tree that gives off the distinct aroma of semen. How fecund! I, unfortunately, did not recognize the smell, and I won't even venture to examine why. I must explore this further.

After our meeting was adjourned, Danette suggested we go to a drum circle at Trinity Park. It was a woodstockesque experience with a massive amount of drums, an enormous group of people from various age, ethnic, and interest groups, fire jugglers, hoola hoopers, dancers and lots of weed. I think I got a second hand high. The experience was organic, inspiring, and uplifting. I let the primal rhythms wash over me as I people-watched, smiling the whole time.

All in all it was quite the day. It deserved a mention. :)

No comments: