Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2010-12-08

Tis the Season

I was listening to the radio, switching in and out of attention on the babble the goes on between songs, when I was struck by the following report: They asked the Santa Clauses to stop ringing their bells downtown because it  was irritating pedestrians.

Really? That's what irritates people? Christmas bells? Not mufflers? Or car horns? Or bus brakes? Or the stench of exhaust pipes? Or the exorbitant holiday "sales"? Or the line ups? Or people bitching about the weather and pretty season sounds?

What's next?

Christmas lights? They hurt the eyes you know if you stare at them too long. Or children's voices? They can be high-pitched when they're excited or laughing. Heaven forbid their joy and the beauty of the season interfere with people's cell phone conversations or shopping frenzy of consumer gluttony.

I'm weird. The thing I look forward to most is the get-togethers filled with holiday cheer and seasonal good will, the Christmas songs, the winter drab being taken over with lights and bells and tinsel, the children buzzing with anticipation. I love the smells of baking and specialty coffee and snow in the air.

What happened to Joy? Peace on Earth? Good will toward all? Including the silenced Santas.

Today, Jamie Ridler's Wishcasting prompt is: "What do you wish to transform?"

I wish to take the Grinch and Master card out of Christmas and transform it back to the magical, loving, sharing, joyous season it should be.

14 comments:

Marilyn said...

hear! hear! here's to all of the sounds and sights of the holiday season! as you wish for yourself, i wish for you also.

Judi said...

As Genie wishes for herself, so I also wish for her.

Personally, I think that the complainers don't like the bell ringing Santa because they don't want to be reminded that (regardless of religious affiliation ) we really are supposed to be our brothers' keeper. That noisy Santa and his near empty kettle (covered with a theft proof grid no less!) is a reminder to make certain that all of the clan has food and shelter. Alas, clans & extended families of all sort have dwindled to mere obscure memories.

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

Great wish.... As Genie wishes for herself, I, so wish for you.

Suzie Ridler said...

As Genie Sea wishes, I wish for her also.

Damn straight! Me too. The gift and money obsessing part of of the holidays drives me crazy. Hope we start feeling the spirit of the season more and focusing on the "stuff" less.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I once spent the beginning of Advent with a spiritual community in the Northeast and they SOOO had it right... uncommercial, love, love, love.

Grand to read your words - I am with you on this!

As Genie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also!

My Tranforming wish!

keishua said...

Wow. That is crazy about the Santa. People can be so strange! Anyway, I am not a fan of bells but I love them during Christmas. It's part of the spirit! I hope you have joyful and loud as you want Christmas season. As you wish, so I wish for you, too.

Tabitha the KnittingJourneyman said...

As you wish for yourself, I so wish for you as well.

Find my wish here: http://theknittingjourneymanrefitted.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/wishcasting-wednesday-december-8/

Jane said...

I wish, wish, wish, with you!! The star on top of my Christmas tree is one that my brother and I bought when we were kids. Our family hadn't celebrated Christmas, for religious reasons, for several years. When it was decided that we'd celebrate again, but no go the whole tree and presents route, my brother and I snuck to the store at the corner and bought a tree, asked our dad to drive us to Bob Johnson's supermarket, and we bough little ornaments and the star ... we thought it was all such a secret! It's an amazing, and beautiful memory for me. The magic, the desire to do something kind and good, and to light the world. I've been meaning to write a post about that star...maybe I just did :) I'll send you a picture if you'd like.

Anyway, as Genie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Merry Christmas!
Love,
Jane

morningstarstudio.ca said...

Awesome. I agree. I share your wishes.
Come on Santa ring your bells

As you wish for yourself so I wish for you also


Lynna G

Jeniffer said...

Amen! Joy to the World!
As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also.

Kim Switzer said...

Yes! Every year, I try to add a little more tradition--baking, making cards and gifts--and a lot less consumerism to my holidays, and they're so much better!

As Genie Sea wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well.

Genie Sea said...

Thank you so much for your lovely wishes, and sharing your gorgeous stories :) Sending you all some ♥ !

The Thumber said...

Fantastic post. I love your attitude!

As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also!

Happy Christmas :)

mtnmermaid said...

I love your wonderful outlook. I think you could make a few of those grouchy pedestrians laugh at themselves if they could read your post. Have a joyful, peaceful, sparkling holiday season. And thanks for stopping by the mountain mermaid...I'm working on building something spectacular with my wrenches!