Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2010-11-10

Status Update

Living in a world that is over-informed about the most trivial events like when someone had a pumpkin spice donut or they stubbed a toe in the middle of the night, I wonder why my online presence is lessening when everyone else's is increasing.

Sometimes, it feels like we're contestants on some nebulous popularity contest: how many followers we have on twitter, or in the blogosphere, how many "friends" we have on Faceplant, how many people comment or like or retweet the shit we say. There is literally a whole generation of people who are developing the text slouch, text thumbs and text attention span. If you can't say it fast, then I'm not interested.

As a society, we're moving farther and farther away from human contact. People don't feel comfortable and are quickly losing the ability to interact with others. Communication is devolving and more treacherous. One doesn't have to mince words if they're sending a text or commenting on someone's page. Cyber-bullying has become more rampant for the simple fact that most youth don't realize that they're doing it. It's easy to slam someone if you're not looking them in the eye while doing it.

It reminds me of the Milgram Experiment conducted in the 60's where subjects were told that they had to give increasing electric shocks to other "subjects"(really actors) out of sight in another room. Most of those administering the shock eventually ran up to 450 volts of electricity for wrong answers. They had no idea that the shocks were fake, and though some refused to continue, most did when they were told they would not be held responsible.

Remind you of something?

But I digress. All this has nothing to do with my decreased online presence. I just have nothing of personal importance happening, and I can't bring myself to let everyone know every minutia of my existence. I'm sure someone, somewhere cares that I've lost the craving for coffee and have gone to drinking jasmine tea; but even typing this detail bores me. Maybe I'm just craving some real dialogue, some honest face-to-face conversation over a pint of beer or a coffee. Maybe I just don't want to be a contestant.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Amen, sister. I feel that way too. Overwhelmed with information. Twitter, I don't use or get. I really don't need to know if you're eating now or just saw your neighbor kissing the neighbor's husband or whatever. Facebook is good in the sense that it has helped me connect with family members worldwide and that is good; but it is also bad. With that comes the constant posting of inane comments. So much so that I block them now. So much for connecting. The blog, for me it's my space to create. It's just that simple. I like to visit sites that give prompts whereby I can create something in words. Now and again I'll post something funny that has happenned.

But we've lost the human connection to people. I think the older generation that has been sucked into it realize it the most; the new generation, it's part of who they are and they don't see it yet. With it so many skills have been lost as well. The art of conversing or writing or reading has declined. Like you said, everything is said in a few words and those that are addicted have developed the attention span of a gnat.

Oh, Genie, I could go on and on and on but I won't bore you or anyone else anymore. We all get the drift. All I have to say is that I am glad many of us are finally acknowledging our obsessions/addictions and finally getting help: disconnect.

Hope you're doing well sweetheart and big ((hugs))

Love,
Rebecca

Kim Mailhot said...

I do agree with a lot of what you are stating her, Miss Genie. I have started limiting the influx of info here and there and definitely see the benefit of that. I have also had sweet, sweet heart level exchanges with people as a result of being present on-line. It has added to my sense of being connected to others in many ways. I think it comes down to moderation, like most things, right ? A balance...

I am genuinely glad to know you are doing okay. Big love to you, my fellow journeywoman...

The Muse said...

ever your muse....
without pomp or circumstance,

please care for that inner you!