Contact Me

  Flickr    Twitter   

2011-02-20

Fat Chance

No one wants to be fat. Not really. Some people have the confidence to own it and still be fabulous, but most of us struggle. How can we not? We are constantly bombarded with the notion that obesity can kill, that being overweight reduces the quality of life, that fat people aren't aesthetically pleasing or sexy. In a world of size 0, size 14 and up have no chance.

It's not just the images that bombard us on magazine covers and television. It's not the fact that a fat person either is the "funny" one or the one who is publicly ridiculed and mocked. It's the fact that any celebrity, usually a woman, who is a size 12 or up, who could be a role model for an alternate body image, who has the ability to create a more balanced aesthetic, has jumped ship. They sponsor a weight loss program and shout to the world how great it is. Let's ignore the fact that they have a team of chefs, personal trainers, and plastic surgeons on staff. Let's ignore that they have the time, money and luxury to reinvent themselves. Just look how fantastic they look now that they're "normal". And the not so sub text? You can be normal too, not a pathetic, unattractive, FAT loser. Cha ching.

Fat is the new leprosy.

I sometimes see that horrified look in people's eyes. "How can you do that to yourself?" their disgusted ogle states. "Stop eating so much. (They haven't seen me put a morsel of food in my mouth.) Did you eat a small starving nation to get like that?"

Fat jokes abound. There are even terms for fat chicks who go out with their better looking (read: thinner) friends. She's called a "grenade". Absolutely lovely. That pretty much ensures that women above a certain weight would need Herculean bravery to go out. They don't want to anyway. No. They want to stay home, alone, eating creme puffs and watching TV. Or. They can always try those big and beautiful sites trolled by men who like big women. Fat has become a fetish.

"So, if you hate it so much;" asks the person who has never struggled with the esteem-destroying condition, "why don't you just lose weight? Stop eating. Get on a treadmill."

The sympathy abounds. People with anorexia get concern. People who are fat get contempt.

Here's the thing, the issue isn't food. Food contributes to the problem, but it's just a symptom. Sure, this can be rectified with a decreased intake of calories and an increased expenditure of the same. It's not rocket science. The problem goes beyond the surface that everyone is so occupied with. It's psychological.

When I lost 100 pounds, I didn't' change my diet at all. My attitude towards food changed. It became a means to an end - satiating hunger - not an end in itself. I enjoyed my meals, just as I enjoy a cool glass of water when I'm thirsty. I also walked about 20 minutes to and from work. That's it. No diet plan. No gym membership. No supplements or teas or other gimmicks. I was living life as unfettered from emotional trauma as I have ever had.  It was the first time in my life, I felt like me. And the true me emerged.

What caused me to gain weight again, was new emotional trauma; but I'll get to that in another post.

The vital juncture in one's life to having and maintaining a "healthy body weight" is early on. If a child gains too much weight at a crucial time in her life, during or just before the onset of puberty, that equates to an increase in fat cells. You can reduce the size of fat cells, but you can't get rid of them. So, the struggle to keep those damn, rotund jailers at bay becomes a lifetime struggle.

It's vitally important for parents to make sure that their children and tweens learn a balanced attitude toward food and physical activity. I'm not advocating to go all commando parent and restrict everything. I'm talking about a balance between healthy eating and the occasional treat, a line between sedentary activities and ones that require physical movement.

Teaching a child to love themselves is one of the most important things a parent can give her.

The problem often lies with the fact that the adults in obese children's lives also have an unbalanced attitude toward food. It's highly likely that a child of obese parents will in turn become obese. Once the child becomes obese, even in a nation where obesity is the rule not the exception, the psychological trauma begins. The name calling. The ugly clothing. The being singled out. The false assumptions. If you add any kind of psychological, physical or sexual abuse to the mix, then it becomes a catastrophic condition.

It would be nice if we lived in a world that celebrated all sizes. It would be nice if the medical profession hadn't sold out so completely to the pharmaceutical. It would be great if profits weren't attached to people's physical or psychological well being. It would be nice if everyone had a beautiful home and their needs met. That's a fantasy. The reality of the situation is far from it.

What I would settle for, is maybe being allowed to exist without being judged within an inch of my life as I struggle with the issues that have smothered me in layers. But I know, there's a fat chance of that happening.

6 comments:

Tabitha And Family said...

Beautifully stated my friend! I am working on my weight and you just gave me an Aha moment! Thank you!

Kim Mailhot said...

I absolutely and completely know that my being fat has nothing to do with food, and everything to do with numbing pain and/or comforting myself. The same way cigarettes did it for 20 years before I quit, the same way alcohol and pot did it for my dad, or how shopping and spending money on stuff does for other of my friends.
As I struggle to find ways to feel good about myself so I can let go of the need to numb and/or comfort myself, I am learning that every single one of us had our burden to carry. And no one really has it completley figured out - not a single human being does, I swear !
We are on this earth in this imperfect and chaotic life to do the best we can, to keep on moving forward and to keep love in our hearts for ourselves and for others. That is what I have come to believe.
I am not there yet, and you know what, I will definitely die before I get that perfection place. But that is okay now. You know why ? Because I have seen such breathtakingly beautiful things in my life it blows my mind. I have loved really deeply and fully and felt loved by another that way, many times in fact. And I know that I have touched others in ways that have changed them for the better, just by shining my light outwards. My little, imperfect but infinitely beautiful light...
That is a life lived in,regardless of perfectly healthy body, full bank account or zen-like philosophy.
I am grateful for this day, this moment and this life. And I am grateful that I can write these words, think these thoughts and feel this love towards you, Beautiful Genie. Because you have all of this in you too.
I hope you have some moments of sweet gratitude and perfect joy today.
Love to you !

rebecca said...

Well said my friend. I've come to learn that my trigger to eating senselessly (when I'm not hungry) is either stress or boredom. I'll eat stuff like popcorn when I'm bored but go for the fat and the sweet when I'm stressed. I'm still working on this and quite truthfully, I don't know what it is going to take for me to not eat when I don't need to. I guess it boils down to discipline and how much willpower I have and so far, I'm rating really low on the scale. *sigh*

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm a member of T.O.P.S (Taking off pounds sensible)
I can't afford weight watchers.
I learn we all have a reason we are over weight.
But it can be over come it slow.

Coffee is on.

Genie Sea said...

Tabby! Thank you honey! I'm glad I could help! :)

Kim - Thank you for sharing your story! :) I'm grateful too for the beauty in my life. I know I haven't really been sharing that aspect lately, but for now, I need to let the darkness out :) Love right back at you! :)

Rebecca - I have found that keeping busy with things that truly absorb me has helped. That and letting all this trauma out. :) Thank you so much for your support! Hugs! :)

Greekwitch - Thank you! It's easy for people to be judgmental of others. It makes them feel better! :)

Dora - I'm so glad you've found something that works! Thank you for the coffee! :)

VICKYFF said...

Scarves Scarves
Lovely idea!! I always enjoy the posts! Looking forward to many more (: